The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

"A" snaps ball at B's 10 yard line. A2 fumbles at 4 yard line and ball rolls into B's endzone. B3 kicks ball out of endzone through endline. Whose ball is it, and where is the illegal kicking penalty enforced?
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Enforce from end of the run.

The force that put the ball into the end zone is the fumble by A2.

If A declines B's foul, it will result in a touchback. B's ball 1st and 10 at their 20 yard line.

If A accepts B's foul, it will be enforced from the end of A's run, which is the spot of the fumble, half the distance to the goal and replay the down (or award a first down if the line to gain is made).

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Oct 16th, 2002 at 10:53 PM]
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Same play at other end of field.

Just for fun, lets say that its A's ball at A's 10 yard line.

Quarterback throws a backwards pass that hits the ground and goes into A's endzone. B then illegally kicks the ball over the end line.

If A declines the penalty the result of the play would be a safety. Score 2 points for B.

If A accepts the penalty this would be a loose ball play (because it was a fumble by A in or behind the neutral zone). This would be enforced from the previous spot, 15 yards.

I don't think this penalty is enforced from the goal line because it was a loose ball play.
Old Thu Oct 17, 2002, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Same play at other end of field.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Just for fun, lets say that its A's ball at A's 10 yard line.

Quarterback throws a backwards pass that hits the ground and goes into A's endzone. B then illegally kicks the ball over the end line.

If A declines the penalty the result of the play would be a safety. Score 2 points for B.

If A accepts the penalty this would be a loose ball play (because it was a fumble by A in or behind the neutral zone). This would be enforced from the previous spot, 15 yards.

I don't think this penalty is enforced from the goal line because it was a loose ball play.
I'm just trying to get this right, myself and I'm kind of thinking out loud right now.

It would be enforced from the previous spot because it is the basic spot. (Backward pass by A behind the neutral zone = a loose ball play.)

I think you got it right.

Now, if A kicked it from behind the basic spot, it would be enforced from the spot of the foul. If A kicked it out of the endzone, (while it was in the endzone), accepted or declined penalty, it is a safety for B.

Old Sat Oct 19, 2002, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good question!

Mike, This is a tough one. Referring to your first post, if this is Fed then I'm wondering if there is another answer. I think you got part of it right. However, the basic spot is the succeeding spot when the final result is a touchback, which happens here, IMO (10-4-4d). Therefore I'm of the opinion it's B's ball at the 20 if A declines the illegal kick and B's ball at the 10 if A accepts.

This has to be a touchback right? It's not a TD, nor a safety so I don't think that the basic spot is the previous spot (10-4-2b). It would have been had A fumbled in or behind the NZ (10-3-1). So any enforcement happens at the succeeding spot because it's a touchback per 10-4-4d.

Does this make sense or am I on the wrong path?

[Edited by kdf5 on Oct 20th, 2002 at 09:59 AM]
Old Sun Oct 20, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Good question part deaux

After reconsidering my answer, I believe that Mike is right. Very confusing!!! I believe that if A declines the penalty, it's B's ball at the 20 and if A accepts then we go to the 2. What a good question!