The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Live ball UNS possibility for NCAA in 2011 (https://forum.officiating.com/football/57095-live-ball-uns-possibility-ncaa-2011-a.html)

bossman72 Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08am

Live ball UNS possibility for NCAA in 2011

Football taunting rule could be tougher by 2011 - NCAA.org

Live ball UNS would take back a TD among other things that could be changed.

HLin NC Sat Feb 13, 2010 07:59am

I see the NCAA surrendered......

Quote:

Removed the reference in the rules book requiring a player’s pants to cover the knees at all times
"We'll worry about head injuries, defenseless players, and good sportsmanship, but we don't give a rip if they bang there knees up."

bossman72 Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 661404)
"We'll worry about head injuries, defenseless players, and good sportsmanship, but we don't give a rip if they bang there knees up."

The fact is, if you ever played, the knee pads help minimally. Plus, the pants ALWAYS ride up during the game, so they usually don't stay down there.

HLin NC Sun Feb 14, 2010 09:04am

I did and then was an equipment mgr. once all my friends grew and I didn't. I realize they give minimal coverage but the pants riding is a sizing problem. If players didn't try to wear pants to look like bicycle shorts, they wouldn't ride so high. Wear normal size pants instead of trying to squeeze an XL butt into a S and the knee pad pocket will remain in the area it should.

If the NFL and NCAA aren't interested in it, fine, but it does nothing but filter the problem on down to us Fed guys who have to try and pester coaches to have their players remain properly equipped.

Welpe Sun Feb 14, 2010 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 661420)
The fact is, if you ever played, the knee pads help minimally. Plus, the pants ALWAYS ride up during the game, so they usually don't stay down there.

I did play and I disagree on both points. I also never bought the argument that properly fitting knee pads over the knee would slow you down.

bossman72 Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03am

...looks like the live ball UNS is official now. See attached document:

NCAA Rule changes

Robert Goodman Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 661176)
Football taunting rule could be tougher by 2011 - NCAA.org

Live ball UNS would take back a TD among other things that could be changed.

If they really wanted to make it "tougher", there are a lot of things they could do that would have more uniform effect than this -- such as awarding penalty points on the board. Why penalize a non-tactical foul tactically?

ajmc Tue Feb 16, 2010 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 662090)
If they really wanted to make it "tougher", there are a lot of things they could do that would have more uniform effect than this -- such as awarding penalty points on the board. Why penalize a non-tactical foul tactically?

Certainly not limited to football related transgressions, but sometimes the very most important and necessary part of a deterrent is getting the attention of those thinking of breaking the rule. One would think the potential reaction of teammates to someone throwing away a score, would put significant peer pressure on those so inclined.

Robert Goodman Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 662201)
Certainly not limited to football related transgressions, but sometimes the very most important and necessary part of a deterrent is getting the attention of those thinking of breaking the rule. One would think the potential reaction of teammates to someone throwing away a score, would put significant peer pressure on those so inclined.

More so than actually putting a point or two on the board, every time?