The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Live ball UNS possibility for NCAA in 2011

Football taunting rule could be tougher by 2011 - NCAA.org

Live ball UNS would take back a TD among other things that could be changed.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 07:59am
Chain of Fools

I see the NCAA surrendered......

Quote:
Removed the reference in the rules book requiring a player’s pants to cover the knees at all times
"We'll worry about head injuries, defenseless players, and good sportsmanship, but we don't give a rip if they bang there knees up."
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
"We'll worry about head injuries, defenseless players, and good sportsmanship, but we don't give a rip if they bang there knees up."
The fact is, if you ever played, the knee pads help minimally. Plus, the pants ALWAYS ride up during the game, so they usually don't stay down there.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 09:04am
Chain of Fools

I did and then was an equipment mgr. once all my friends grew and I didn't. I realize they give minimal coverage but the pants riding is a sizing problem. If players didn't try to wear pants to look like bicycle shorts, they wouldn't ride so high. Wear normal size pants instead of trying to squeeze an XL butt into a S and the knee pad pocket will remain in the area it should.

If the NFL and NCAA aren't interested in it, fine, but it does nothing but filter the problem on down to us Fed guys who have to try and pester coaches to have their players remain properly equipped.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
The fact is, if you ever played, the knee pads help minimally. Plus, the pants ALWAYS ride up during the game, so they usually don't stay down there.
I did play and I disagree on both points. I also never bought the argument that properly fitting knee pads over the knee would slow you down.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

...looks like the live ball UNS is official now. See attached document:

NCAA Rule changes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Football taunting rule could be tougher by 2011 - NCAA.org

Live ball UNS would take back a TD among other things that could be changed.
If they really wanted to make it "tougher", there are a lot of things they could do that would have more uniform effect than this -- such as awarding penalty points on the board. Why penalize a non-tactical foul tactically?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
If they really wanted to make it "tougher", there are a lot of things they could do that would have more uniform effect than this -- such as awarding penalty points on the board. Why penalize a non-tactical foul tactically?
Certainly not limited to football related transgressions, but sometimes the very most important and necessary part of a deterrent is getting the attention of those thinking of breaking the rule. One would think the potential reaction of teammates to someone throwing away a score, would put significant peer pressure on those so inclined.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Certainly not limited to football related transgressions, but sometimes the very most important and necessary part of a deterrent is getting the attention of those thinking of breaking the rule. One would think the potential reaction of teammates to someone throwing away a score, would put significant peer pressure on those so inclined.
More so than actually putting a point or two on the board, every time?