The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 12:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

I remember looking at the slide show where the NFHS claims that a PSK situation happens only once every 8-10 games.

I've worked 3 games this season and have had 2 PSK situations -- an invalid fair catch signal and a block in the back by the short punt returner on a defender just before the other deep guy caught the ball.

While having 2 of these in 3 games might be much, I just can't imagine having only one every 8-10 games.

Working 4-man the other night as the LJ, I was bean bagging the PSK spot and we had some long returns. Anyone figure out how to get the bean bag back to the LJ (or BJ in 5-man)?

Rich

Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I remember looking at the slide show where the NFHS claims that a PSK situation happens only once every 8-10 games.

I've worked 3 games this season and have had 2 PSK situations -- an invalid fair catch signal and a block in the back by the short punt returner on a defender just before the other deep guy caught the ball.

While having 2 of these in 3 games might be much, I just can't imagine having only one every 8-10 games.
Rich, the referees in our association are supposed to be reporting them in their game reports each week. I haven't heard how many we've had through the first four weeks but I'll try to find out. Our crew hasn't had one this year, through 4 V and 3 JV games.

Quote:
Working 4-man the other night as the LJ, I was bean bagging the PSK spot and we had some long returns. Anyone figure out how to get the bean bag back to the LJ (or BJ in 5-man)?
Run Forrest, run!

No other way that I know of.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

It's a statistics thing Rich. They can make the numbers look any way they want them to look.

Game one for me last night. PSK in the first quarter.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

3 varsity games and 9 sub-varsity games this season. 3 PSK in one varsity game, 5 in the sub-varsity games. We use NCAA rules. I think the one in eight or ten games is a bit low.
"Clean hands" rule may be one in eight or ten.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

4 varsity games - zero PSK fouls. Closest thing I have seen was an invalid fair catch signal during a free kick, where PSK does not apply.

I worked with a R two Friday nights ago who said he had 1 PSK foul the week before.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
PSK

We had a PSK enforcement in our opener Friday night.

I guess that we are done with that particular situation for the seaons.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Using NCAA rules I see about 1 PSK situation every 3 - 4 games.

As for the bean bag, I used to be a real fan of "Top Cat", a cartoon back in the 60's. Remember how he had a quarter he used to tip the doorman but it had a thread on it so he could pull it back? I have a similar contraption on my bean bag so I can reel it in after the play.

J/K Just means I have to hustle a bit more but that is what we BJ's are known for right? Being hustlers.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Some are going to see PSK a couple times in one game and others may not see it this year. It has been 23 varsity games since I saw it last. Will probably see it next week now.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

How many PSK fouls were with the ball in the air versus the ball bouncing around before possession?

The last one I saw, two seasons ago, the ball was bouncing before possession.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

The last one I had was with the ball bouncing around and R never touched it. R clipped (today is was a block in the back) and gave K a first down.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 06:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
How many PSK fouls were with the ball in the air versus the ball bouncing around before possession?

The last one I saw, two seasons ago, the ball was bouncing before possession.
Both of mine (start of thread) were with the ball in the air.

It may have caused a lot of confusion early on, but there are a lot of instances where PSK makes a world of sense -- where an R foul after the kick would bail the K team out when the penalty put the ball past the line to gain.

Rich
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have had 3 weekends of football. One in Indiana, 2 in Illinois. This week was the first time we had a PSK on my regular crew during a Sophmore/JV game on Friday.

You throw the bean bag, you get your bean bag unless someone else sees it. Not much else you can do in those situations.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 06, 2003, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've had one in 6 games (invalid fair catch signal)

Carry two bean bags if you are LJ or BJ. Also, talking to statisticians, trainers, etc might help in retrieving it.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2003, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

From our meeting last week, the New York state interpreter recommends having two bean bags and labeling the one used to mark the end of the scrimmage kick with a "K". That way if you use the secodn bag on the same play in the same area there will be no confusion.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Rich, the referees in our association are supposed to be reporting them in their game reports each week. I haven't heard how many we've had through the first four weeks but I'll try to find out. Our crew hasn't had one this year, through 4 V and 3 JV games.

Quote:
Run Forrest, run!

No other way that I know of.