The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Situation:

Team A lines up and runs a sweep right. While the ball is still live, Tackle A77 who is trailing the play removes his mouth piece and the action is observed by the referee. Right or wrong, the referee flags the player for failing to wear proper equipment during a live-ball. According to the signaling sequence, this is listed as an unsportsmanlike conduct foul. Is this UC? Or is this a foul enforced under all-but-one?
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Even though the signal S27 is used, I believe the penalty is only 5 yards. It should be enforced as a live ball foul under all but one.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Mike,

Even though the signal S27 is used, I believe the penalty is only 5 yards. It should be enforced as a live ball foul under all but one.
Right on all counts. 1-5-6 states Signals 27 and 23 and a 5 yard penalty.

My question. Where is the basic spot? The previous spot? Where the player physically removed the mouthpiece? At the end of the run?
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

The penalty for this infraction is 5 yards (1-5-6 Penalty).
There is a case book play (1.5.6) that illustrates this situation perfectly. The NF ruling is that this is a succeeding spot enforcement (consistent with other UC infractions).

Even though this foul is treated as like an UC foul it is, by definition, not an UC for the pourpose of possible ejection. The penalty summary chart lists 1-5-2,3,5; 9-5; and 9-8-1 as UC. This infraction is covered under 1-5-6.

I believe that succeeding spot enforcement is the proper enforcement spot because this infraction did not give team an unfair advantage (the offense did not gain yards as the result of a player removing his equipment).

Lastly, IMHO, I would never have flagged this player unless he has done this before; especially since he was "trailing the play". I would be "counseling" this youg man after the play is over.

Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
. . . Lastly, IMHO, I would never have flagged this player unless he has done this before; especially since he was "trailing the play". I would be "counseling" this youg man after the play is over.

I agree with this and I think calling a foul in that type of situation is over-officious. I will take a look at the case book play and I appreciate the reference.

Sometimes my mind wonders to football while I am at work and I ask before I look for the answer

Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lastly, IMHO, I would never have flagged this player unless he has done this before; especially since he was "trailing the play". I would be "counseling" this youg man after the play is over.
I agree, and I think Mike agrees as well. But we discuss in our pre-game that we are never to call this. Counsel, inform a coach, do whatever you have to but do not flag it unless it's before the snap.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I agree, and I think Mike agrees as well. But we discuss in our pre-game that we are never to call this. Counsel, inform a coach, do whatever you have to but do not flag it unless it's before the snap.
I would also never flag this player but would let him and the coach know he could cost his team a severe penalty.

Most coaches when they know a player has done wrong will pull the player aside and talk to him. Often that is more effective than our yellow linen.