The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a variation on test question for last year I would like to ask so I can better understand the rule.

4th down and whatever

As time expires A commits offensive pass interference. The enforcement of the penalty includes a loss of down (loss of right to repeat down).

Does the loss of down on 4th down allow B to have the Ball for one untimed down? Please include rule references

Thanks
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Good question.

If B declines the penalty the period is over. Start the new period based on the results of the previous play.

If B accepts the penalty it will be B's ball 1st and 10. Extend the period for an untimed down.

I believe the rule reference that covers both results is 3-3-3a. If there are other rule and case book references related to this I would be happy to get them.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Try not to get hung up on the LOD part of any penalty. The key to extending a period when a foul is involved is just a matter of is the penalty accepted (except for those UC or non-player fouls).

It's covered in rule 3.
For this case, Team-Bs would get the ball for (at least) one play. It would be a coaching decision based on the score, field position and are we extending the game/4th quarter or any of the other quarters.
We just have to make it clear to the Team.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
BIG CALL!!

First thing,

What a big call that would be, Of course if you got it you got it. But I know it had better be! Here's the situation that might occur, Team A down 1 touchdown, trying to score at end of game, they score as time expires, BUT!! you have off. Pass interf. BIG CALL, (better be right) and it was 4th down?? sssshhheeee Get your crew together and advise them, at the snap of B when they get an untimed down, that we are going to have some upset emotions going on. Right??, any imputs>?

Thats the ups and downs of being an official, sometimes you will be in that situation, no matter what call you would have made, pass interf. or not, its going to impact the outcome of the game. WE NEED A RAISE!!!!! HAHA

Tim
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

>What a big call that would be, Of course if you got it you >got it. But I know it had better be! Here's the situation >that might occur, Team A down 1 touchdown, trying to score >at end of game, they score as time expires, BUT!! you have >off. Pass interf. BIG CALL, (better be right)

Why would this OPI call be any more important than any other OPI during the game? In all case, we should see the foul before we call it. The end of the game is no more important than the beginning or middle. Game officials should be consistent, preferably consistently right, throughout the game. I realize that the players, coaches and fans tend to remember the end of the game more than other parts. Remember, if the crew makes a poor call early, it will usually set the tone for the remainder of the game. I have watched, called, or played in games where one poor or questionable call can ruin an otherwise perfectly called game.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Angry reply on above response

Its not more important!!!

If you would have read it, and not assume. you would have gotten out of it, that see it to call it, no matter when it is. Read it again, LOL, Thats what I mean, everyone wants a piece of us, to second guess the referee!!!
Thanks for the see what I mean reply!!! No worries!!!!
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

A couple years ago Cleveland St. Ignatius was playing at Cincinnati Elder. The game was tied at 21 after 4 periods. In OT St. I. scored first to go up by 7. Elder scored and went for 2 points on the try, and the win. St. I. was called for DPI on consecutive 2 point try attempts. Elder decided to run instead of pass on the third try and was stopped. Maybe the most exciting finish to a high school game ever.

The officials got it right both times. The only thing was I think they could have called it intentional, but little change in how it played out. The DB was just trying to push the receiver OOB both times in the corner of the EZ. He was not playing the ball.

In that situationthe R "could" award points under the 'travesty of the game' clause. That would likely never happen, but how long could you let the DB's do that, and would you eventually warn the defense and the coach? In my opinion after the 2nd try, maybe third, I'd be warning the defense about intentional fouls. Maybe they did, but I did not see the R go to the sideline where he could talk to the coach.