The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Fake FG Giants/Skins

Skins lined up for an apparent try. Then, shifted 7 lineman out to the left, kicker and holder still in backfield 7 yards back. Not sure which, but I think the punter took the snap standing after putting the kicker in motion to the right.

What is the deal with eligibility on this play? What could have happened differently that would have resulted in different eligability?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Skins lined up for an apparent try. Then, shifted 7 lineman out to the left, kicker and holder still in backfield 7 yards back. Not sure which, but I think the punter took the snap standing after putting the kicker in motion to the right.

What is the deal with eligibility on this play? What could have happened differently that would have resulted in different eligability?
  1. A substitute could have entered reporting eligibility contrary to his uniform number.
  2. A player of B could have touched or been touched by the pass.
  3. A potential receiver could have touched out of bounds during the down without touching of ball by B.
Under NFL rules, a formation which (subject to the reporting eligible/ineligible provision) would result in an end's, back's, or T quarterback's having an ineligible number or an interior lineman's having an eligible one, besides affecting eligibility, also incurs an illegal formation call. 5-1-4 (or whatever its current numbering is) actually slices the position numbering more finely than that, but I don't think they'd actually flag for something like a "running back number under center" or "tackle number playing center", etc. without reporting being out of position, especially since there are no definitions for those position names.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 05:22pm
Chain of Fools

That's the "water bucket" or Swinging Gate. We have several hs' run that on a weekly basis in our area. Ends are still ends and backs are still backs. The majority of the o-linemen just shift to one extreme side of the field with one lone guy on the other side. The ball can be snapped to the "kicker" as it was last night, or another back who can run or pass option.

The NFL does have some opportunities for ineligible numbers to report in as an eligible position. I did not hear the WH make an announcement that any players have reported although the t.v. broadcast usually doesn't pick that up anyway. I'm not sure that the play last night just didn't shift the line over to the left side

Last edited by HLin NC; Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 05:28pm.