The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Bouquet pass (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55472-bouquet-pass.html)

voiceoflg Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:03pm

Bouquet pass

YouTube - Bethel College Football Trick Play

With_Two_Flakes Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:39pm

Roughing the passer?

JRutledge Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 637156)
Roughing the passer?

No.

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

Roughing the passer?

It's close, but I would not flag it.

Patton Fri Nov 20, 2009 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 637311)
No.

Why not JR? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I'm curious of your reasoning or philosophy on it.

Ref inSoCA Fri Nov 20, 2009 08:13pm

Quote:

Roughing the passer?

No

chymechowder Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:52pm

first angle looked pretty close to roughing. but the endzone view "exonerates" the defender, imo.

the ball appears to be INSIDE the 1 yardline. why on earth would you risk a pass like that? anybody know if Bethel was up or down by like 40 points when this play occurred??:)

JRutledge Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton (Post 637374)
Why not JR? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I'm curious of your reasoning or philosophy on it.

For one it is not a conventional pass. It is in question as to if he still had the ball. I would give the benefit of the doubt to the benefit of the doubt for such an unusual pass. Now if the hit was several seconds later, then yes. But not for this particular play. I am sure some might disagree, but this is just my take. It certainly does not mean I am correct.

Peace

mbyron Sat Nov 21, 2009 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 637411)
I would give the benefit of the doubt to the benefit of the doubt for such an unusual pass.

Late night last night? Or maybe I should ask: last night last night? :D

ajmc Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 637411)
For one it is not a conventional pass. It is in question as to if he still had the ball. I would give the benefit of the doubt to the benefit of the doubt for such an unusual pass. Now if the hit was several seconds later, then yes. But not for this particular play. I am sure some might disagree, but this is just my take. It certainly does not mean I am correct.

Peace

The foundation for applying all rules is sound judgment and fairness. Considering the caveat, "after it is clear the ball has been thrown" to assess Roughing the passer as defined in NF 9-4-4, considering this contact a foul would seem inappropriate. Your assessment, this would not be a foul, seems to step through a logical progression.

golfnref Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 637455)
The foundation for applying all rules is sound judgment and fairness. Considering the caveat, "after it is clear the ball has been thrown" to assess Roughing the passer as defined in NF 9-4-4, considering this contact a foul would seem inappropriate. Your assessment, this would not be a foul, seems to step through a logical progression.

He said what?

ajmc Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref (Post 637520)
He said what?

I'll try again, the passer threw what can reasonably be considered an unconventional pass (2 hand over the shoulder, with his back towards the receiver) and the defensive end may very well not have realized the ball was thrown (as he was approaching the passer from behind) and seems to have committed his charge before realizing there actually was a pass being thrown.

So it may not have been clear, to the defensive end who made the contact, so there is reasonable doubt that the penalty requirement of, "it was clear that the ball had been thrown" was satisfied.

jaybird Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref (Post 637520)
He said what?

TRANSLATION: He doesn't believe that a foul should be called.
:rolleyes:

Ref Ump Welsch Sun Nov 22, 2009 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 637455)

Hmmm...OK...Your response to Rut's response means you would agree if Rut didn't throw a flag for roughing when the QB throws a short under-handed shovel pass to his RB when dropping back. Sounds logical. :rolleyes:

ajmc Sun Nov 22, 2009 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 637594)
Hmmm...OK...Your response to Rut's response means you would agree if Rut didn't throw a flag for roughing when the QB throws a short under-handed shovel pass to his RB when dropping back. Sounds logical. :rolleyes:

No, that really doesn't sound like anything remotely close to what I said, or at least intended to say. My response was targeted for a particular, very unconventional, play situation shown in the original video. If you don't agree with the answer, that's OK, but it doesn't work to simply apply it to a completely different question.