The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   TD + Block in the back + USC (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55232-td-block-back-usc.html)

ML99 Sat Oct 31, 2009 01:29pm

TD + Block in the back + USC

We had the following situation today:

Team A fumbled on B30, the ball was recovered by Team B and they run a TD. During the return - the runner was already about 20 yards away (with no one in front and no one near/behind of him) there was a Block in the Back by team B. As well a frustrated Team A player (because of the fumble & the long return run) took of his helmet and walked to his team area. This all happened during the TD run. The BJ reported an USC for talking off the helmet during the play. The Ump reported the BIB as a personal foul.

I think we messed up the enforcement. We didn't gave the TD and offset the 2 penalties. 1st down Team B on the spot of the BIB.

Comments are welcome ...

JRutledge Sat Oct 31, 2009 01:40pm

You cannot have offsetting penalties under NF rules. But the problem is I do not know if that is what you are using from a rules point of view.

If you have the BIB during the run, you enforce that from the spot of the foul. The USC is treated like a dead ball foul and is enforced after you have enforced the BIB call. Then you give the ball to Team B first and 10 from the end of all enforcements. I think the same applies for NCAA Rules, but do not quote me on that one yet.

Peace

ML99 Sat Oct 31, 2009 01:45pm

we use NCAA rules

BIB enforced as a normal BIB or a personal foul: I know there is 5yrds difference in the enforcement - but in this call would it have made any difference but the 5yrds to enforce it as a normal BIB or personal foul?

mbyron Sat Oct 31, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ML99 (Post 633950)
we use NCAA rules

BIB enforced as a normal BIB or a personal foul: I know there is 5yrds difference in the enforcement - but in this call would it have made any difference but the 5yrds to enforce it as a normal BIB or personal foul?

These fouls do not offset -- the PF is a spot foul, and the USC is succeeding spot -- but if the PF happened outside the A15, the yardage penalties will cancel out. B will end up with the ball at the spot of the PF.

You should not call a "normal" BIB this far away from the play. A "normal" BIB so far from the runner provides no advantage. Flag as a PF if you judge that the contact is severe, otherwise talk to the kid.

LDUB Sat Oct 31, 2009 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 633956)
You should not call a "normal" BIB this far away from the play. A "normal" BIB so far from the runner provides no advantage. Flag as a PF if you judge that the contact is severe, otherwise talk to the kid.

The contact doesn't have to be severe to be a foul.

mbyron Sat Oct 31, 2009 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 633967)
The contact doesn't have to be severe to be a foul.

Yes it does.

LDUB Sat Oct 31, 2009 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 633988)
Yes it does.

Do you have some sort of reference for that?

It doesn't take severe contact to knock someone to the ground when they are not expecting to be hit.

mbyron Sat Oct 31, 2009 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 633994)
Do you have some sort of reference for that?

It doesn't take severe contact to knock someone to the ground when they are not expecting to be hit.

If they're knocked to the ground, IMO that's severe.

ML99 Sun Nov 01, 2009 06:10am

thanks for your feedback ! After I read your comments - the correct enforcement makes sense to me.

yankeesfan Sun Nov 01, 2009 09:19am

so no matter what order those 2 fouls occured, is it correct that you will enforce the block in the back first? nfhs rules.

bossman72 Sun Nov 01, 2009 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 634044)
so no matter what order those 2 fouls occured, is it correct that you will enforce the block in the back first? nfhs rules.

Yes, because the BIB is a live ball foul. Dead ball fouls are enforced after live ball fouls.