Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Rule 9-6-4d

I have a question about this rule:

Quote:
Rule 9-6-4d: It is illegal participation to use a player, replaced player, substitute, coach, trainer or other attendant in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.

Case Book 9.6.4 SITUATION B: Following a kickoff return, A1 and A2 enter the field while A3, A4 and A5 move toward the sideline. A5 stops within the 9-yard marks while A3 and A4 continue to the team box. The ball is snapped without a huddle and the quarterback throws a forward pass to A5, who has gone downfield as a wide receiver.
RULING: This play is illegal because a pretended substitution is used to deceive the opponents. The penalty of 15 yards for the illegal participation foul will be administered from the previous spot since the foul occured at the snap.
Does anyone know what the official interpretation of "at or immediately before" is for this rule?

PLAY: Fourth and 10 for A from A's 40-yard line. All 11 players for team A are within the 9-yard marks when the ball is marked ready for play. Immediately after the RFP, all 11 players, including A88, head toward the sideline as 10 substitutes run onto the field. As the 10 replaced players leave the field, A88 stops and gets set prior to leaving the field of play. A gets and remains set in a legal scrimmage kick formation for 15 seconds. The ball is snapped to A4, who throws a forward pass to A88, who is tackled at B's 40-yard line.

1) Does the 15 second delay between the pretended substitution and the snap excuse A88 from Rule 9-6-4d?

2) If so, how long must the delay between the act and the snap before 9-6-4d no longer applies?

3) If B recognizes and covers A88 prior to the snap, does this prevent illegal participation under 9-6-4d?

4) If B recognizes A88, but cannot get to him before the snap, do we have illegal participation?

A play similar to this actually occured in a game last week, and was brought up at our association meeting last night. The crew believes the play is legal. I do not know how long the delay was between the substitution and snap. I was the only one to argue 9-6-4d, but was quickly dismissed as confusing NCAA and NFHS rules.

Are there any plays in the supplemental books concerning this rule? I don't think I'm going to be able to convince many people with 9.6.4 SIT B, since everyone will be trying to focus on "kickoff return," "9-yard marks" and "without a huddle."