The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Kuddos to all of you

I have had my officiating experience in basketball, but I do coach Middle School Football. Yesterday, unfortunately our away game we had scheduled wasn't what was scheduled with the officials and so thus no officials and the coaches has to work the game. I spent a game working on one sideline, and what an eyeopener. What you all as linesmen see is truly amazing. I now know I at least have the luxury of being able to have an angle on a play. Watching down the line of scrimmage everything seemed to move so fast, especially on plays run up the middle. Now I know with experience, the game slows down and you are able to see the play better, but it is amazing what you can and cannot see.

We had a play on the goal line where our FB ran up the middle and it looked like he was getting into the endzone, then there is a collection of bodies and i cant tell where the FB went. Thanks again for what you do, We really cant play with out you all.

By the way, Pretending to officiate this one game was the most fun I have had in a while coaching football....
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I have had my officiating experience in basketball, but I do coach Middle School Football. Yesterday, unfortunately our away game we had scheduled wasn't what was scheduled with the officials and so thus no officials and the coaches has to work the game. I spent a game working on one sideline, and what an eyeopener. What you all as linesmen see is truly amazing. I now know I at least have the luxury of being able to have an angle on a play. Watching down the line of scrimmage everything seemed to move so fast, especially on plays run up the middle. Now I know with experience, the game slows down and you are able to see the play better, but it is amazing what you can and cannot see.

We had a play on the goal line where our FB ran up the middle and it looked like he was getting into the endzone, then there is a collection of bodies and i cant tell where the FB went. Thanks again for what you do, We really cant play with out you all.

By the way, Pretending to officiate this one game was the most fun I have had in a while coaching football....
Is hell freezing over?? There's a huge difference in speed between MS and HS and doing DII chains has shown me how much difference there is between HS and NCAA.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2009, 04:28pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
Is hell freezing over?? There's a huge difference in speed between MS and HS and doing DII chains has shown me how much difference there is between HS and NCAA.
Yes, hell is freezing over. The Chiefs actually won today!
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 12:06am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks. Hope you'll consider joining the football side of the stripes one day. Incidentally, this will be my first year officiating basketball.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I am only 30, but I am constantly getting tired of the coaching crap. You think parents are bad on your side. But I loved officiating basketball, and I tell myself I want to get back into it. I might flip to the bright side, because the dark side of coaching is bringing me down.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am only 30, but I am constantly getting tired of the coaching crap. You think parents are bad on your side. But I loved officiating basketball, and I tell myself I want to get back into it. I might flip to the bright side, because the dark side of coaching is bringing me down.
It's really hard to be good at either coaching or officiating, if your heart isn't really into it. You've got nothing to lose by giving football officiating a try. If it's not what you're looking for, no harm no foul, but it might be right for you, which can open a door for many years.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you coach MS FB you might be able to do HS officiating. We have had that happen around here and the association is knowledgeable enough to not assign in games that have a conflict.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
Officiated HS FB for 31 years counting this year. All levels and it has been a hoot. I believe that everyone has the right to have a good officiating crew and we try to do our best. Makes no difference if it's the lowest 9 man teams or the top 11AA teams.

Actually if you want to call a game with lots of situations, penalties, scores, etc. try doing some of the Indian schools out west. I guarantee that you will give your rule book a work out... Jim