The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   UW game fumble..no replay. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/54562-uw-game-fumble-no-replay.html)

Canned Heat Sun Sep 06, 2009 01:31pm

UW game fumble..no replay.

Some of you NCAA guys explain to me why they weren't able to review and subsequently reverse the ruling on the field of the obvious fumble inside the 5 yard line by Northern Illinois versus Wisconsin last night. White hat blew it dead that QB was down. (Ball was clearly out on the hit as replays showed.)

If that had happened in the final 2 minutes of a big-time game, this would be the biggest story in football today.

JRutledge Sun Sep 06, 2009 01:36pm

If you have an official that blew the play dead, not sure what you can review? You have a loose ball that players likely stopped when they heard the whistle. You cannot overturn or change a call that was ruled down already.

Peace

aschramm Sun Sep 06, 2009 02:44pm

I had a similar question as I thought it was a fumble as well, but I was watching it at a place that didn't have the sound on.

My other question about that game though was a reversed defensive pass interference call in that game, that benefited Wisconsin.. Quarterback from Northern Ill. threw a pass that was touched by a defensive lineman. The ball continued in the air to a receiver who was interfered with by a defensive player. Watching the replays, I did not see the U give the motion for touching, and a flag was thrown for DPI. The booth then reviewed the play, saw the touching, and waived off the flag, and the play resulted in an incomplete pass. I am just curious that if the booth calls for a replay on this play, what would stop them from using the booth to review other called or non-called fouls in the game?

PS - Sat next to a couple (UW fans) who were so obnoxious in complaining about the officials that it was almost comical. And this coming from a UW fan myself.

JRutledge Sun Sep 06, 2009 02:48pm

Didn't see the play but the U is not the only person that can recognize or give a "tip" signal.

BTW, isn't that what fans do? ;)

Peace

aschramm Sun Sep 06, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 624123)
Didn't see the play but the U is not the only person that can recognize or give a "tip" signal.

BTW, isn't that what fans do? ;)

Peace

That is true, I guess I just typically look to the U for something like that, and he was in the screen when they showed the replay of it.

Yeah, then these "Fans" after the play in the original post were upset because the officials "took away" a caused fumble and subsequent fumble recovery for the defensive player. They were real wonderful......

JRutledge Sun Sep 06, 2009 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 624125)
That is true, I guess I just typically look to the U for something like that, and he was in the screen when they showed the replay of it.

My only point was that he is not the only person that can acknowledge a tip. Any official can signal a tip if they see it and if it could affect the possible call. You are right though, typically this is something you see the U make. But I have seen the R do it and I have as a BJ if I see it. It just depends on what you see and when you see it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 624125)
Yeah, then these "Fans" after the play in the original post were upset because the officials "took away" a caused fumble and subsequent fumble recovery for the defensive player. They were real wonderful......

I have been to a lot of college football games and even the team I am cheering for are clueless when it comes to officiating. That is just the way it is. I am never surprised by people that have been drinking and what they say about the officiating.

Peace

LDUB Sun Sep 06, 2009 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 624121)
I am just curious that if the booth calls for a replay on this play, what would stop them from using the booth to review other called or non-called fouls in the game?

The rules on what is able to be reviewed. The officials aren't making this stuff up as they go.

Robert Goodman Sun Sep 06, 2009 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canned Heat (Post 624116)
Some of you NCAA guys explain to me why they weren't able to review and subsequently reverse the ruling on the field of the obvious fumble inside the 5 yard line by Northern Illinois versus Wisconsin last night. White hat blew it dead that QB was down. (Ball was clearly out on the hit as replays showed.)

What could you change the call to? Inadvertent whistle?

Reffing Rev. Sun Sep 06, 2009 07:09pm

Contact between a player and the ball is reviewable...contact between players is not.

Theisey Sun Sep 06, 2009 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canned Heat (Post 624116)

If that had happened in the final 2 minutes of a big-time game, this would be the biggest story in football today.

Here... go to this link: http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...f15136079d.pdf

Then scroll on down to FR-140.. This is rule-12. You can read all about how replay is handled and when it can't be.

Forksref Mon Sep 07, 2009 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschramm (Post 624121)

PS - Sat next to a couple (UW fans) who were so obnoxious in complaining about the officials that it was almost comical. And this coming from a UW fan myself.

If the game was in Madison, then I understand the condition of the fans. If I went to school in Madison, I think I'd have liver damage. Too many beer gardens within staggering distance of Camp Randall.

aschramm Mon Sep 07, 2009 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 624280)
If the game was in Madison, then I understand the condition of the fans. If I went to school in Madison, I think I'd have liver damage. Too many beer gardens within staggering distance of Camp Randall.

Haha, very true. I was actually at an establishment in Milwaukee watching the game, but that doesn't make much difference.