The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Tackling

Some coaches teach to put the fasemask in the runner's chest. The NHFS has made the initiating contact with the face mask illegal; however, the College football rules does not explicitly have this rule. I do not teach players to initiate contact with their face mask, but I want to understand the rule. The helmet is used for protection.

What is the college football rule for ramming? Is this not using the helmet as a battering ram?
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm, the actual rule section 9-1-2 seems to be lacking some specific details (unless I blew right by them)...

AR. 9-1-2-XIII. A player during a live ball rams an opponent with his helmet or face mask. RULING: Personal foul. Penalty—15 yards. Enforce
from the previous spot if foul by Team A occurs behind the neutral zone. First down if by Team B. Safety if the foul by Team A occurs behind Team A’s goal line.

This pretty much says its a foul.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 09:30pm
Chain of Fools

Paging......

bigjohn
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the link to the college rules pdf....I cannot find the rule you are refering....

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...f15136079d.pdf
Old Wed Aug 19, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I found it in FI section....what is difference btw FR section and FI section...
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 06:14am
Chain of Fools

FR is the actual rules section and FI is the portion that has the interpretations of the rules.

In Federation ball, the two are separated into the Rule book and the Case book.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Ramming

Thank you. I only read the rule and not the case study. I wish this was clearly stated in the rules and not in the case study.

This brings me to the definition of ramming. Where is ramming defined? Is ramming defined as leading with the face mask?

Spearing is clearly defined as leading with the crown of the player's helmet.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2009, 12:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtex View Post
Thank you. I only read the rule and not the case study. I wish this was clearly stated in the rules and not in the case study.
You really need to read both in order to have a fuller understanding of not only the actual rules but their intended use and interpretation. In a general sense, think of the rules as the theory and the approved rulings as examples of the theory put into practice. That said, as Thiesy said, going over 9-1-2, there isn't anything in the rules prohibiting this it seems. 9-1-3 would be closer but still not exact.

Quote:
This brings me to the definition of ramming. Where is ramming defined? Is ramming defined as leading with the face mask?
I don't think you'll find ramming specifically defined in the rules. The standard English definition should suffice.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 12:17pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Rule 9-1, Article XVI Player Ramming with Helmet or Facemask
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

NCAA enforcement data on helmet-contact penalties
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Helmet-contact penalties defined
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I suspect EVERYONE understands the purpose of any (all) the helmet contact rules, at any level, is simply to stop players from using their heads as weapons. The language used is irrelevant, what matters is that players are taught not to use their heads (helmets) improperly and are fully aware of the terrible, life long consequences they risk by using ANY improper technique.

Helmet contact, of any kind, is not an area to split hairs about or get mired down in some silly linquistic debate over nonsense. Any coach who doesn't totally accept this effort to remove improper helmet contact from the game, and insist of proper technique from his charges, deserves to sit only in the stands.

Officials need to understand what is prohibited and have the courage to penalize improper contact, regardless of what it's called, whenever it's observed. The keys are still being in the best possible position to view the contact and be able to fairly judge incidental from improper contact and be prepared to strictly enforcing what we see.

Personally, I would suggest that pee wee and High School levels are the most important to be vigilant, because the risk is greater with younger athletes and the potential time to spend in a wheelchair is the lomgest.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I would disagree that the language is unimportant. The college rule should clearly state no initial contact with any part of the helmet.

How do you approach coach after you have made them aware of the rule, but still teaches this technique? What if this was your son?