The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Double Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/football/53849-double-foul.html)

ajmc Tue Jul 07, 2009 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 612959)
Whoopee. Sometimes it's a meaningless choice.

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones." I think the same might apply to the administration of rules. Long, long ago the decision was made that only one live ball foul could be charged against the same team, during the same down.

One size NEVER fits ALL situations, equally as well.

kfo9494 Tue Jul 07, 2009 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 612925)
The fouled team always has the "CHOICE"

That sounds like one of those true false questions on our classification test. Which by the way, I would miss cause I would be over thinking the question.

chymechowder Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 613057)
"Some days are diamonds, some days are stones." I think the same might apply to the administration of rules. Long, long ago the decision was made that only one live ball foul could be charged against the same team, during the same down.

One size NEVER fits ALL situations, equally as well.

Agreed. Another hypothetical situation similar to this:

1st down on A's 10 yardline. A80 catches a pass over the middle, hits a seam, and begins streaking downfield. He's being pursued by B24 and B25.

A88 joins the pack and illegally blocks B24 in the back at the B20 yardline. The BJ throws the flag, and B25 recognizes what the flag is for.

Let's say A80 is running out of gas and B25 can now make the tackle. In this case, the "smart" play for B25 is to tackle A80 by the facemask, right? Because if he makes a regular (clean) tackle at the B10 yardline, Team A will get teh ball at the B30--for a net gain of 60 yards.

But if B commits a live ball foul, they offset and by rule the down is replayed--back at the A10 yardline.

(Note: I'm in Mass., where we use NCAA rules, but I don't think there's an NFHS difference here.)

Granted, this situation will rarely, if ever, arise. But it still strikes me as a bit funny, in that it can behoove a team to commit a foul.

Robert Goodman Tue Jul 14, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chymechowder (Post 614455)
Agreed. Another hypothetical situation similar to this:

1st down on A's 10 yardline. A80 catches a pass over the middle, hits a seam, and begins streaking downfield. He's being pursued by B24 and B25.

A88 joins the pack and illegally blocks B24 in the back at the B20 yardline. The BJ throws the flag, and B25 recognizes what the flag is for.

Let's say A80 is running out of gas and B25 can now make the tackle. In this case, the "smart" play for B25 is to tackle A80 by the facemask, right? Because if he makes a regular (clean) tackle at the B10 yardline, Team A will get teh ball at the B30--for a net gain of 60 yards.

But if B commits a live ball foul, they offset and by rule the down is replayed--back at the A10 yardline.

(Note: I'm in Mass., where we use NCAA rules, but I don't think there's an NFHS difference here.)

Granted, this situation will rarely, if ever, arise. But it still strikes me as a bit funny, in that it can behoove a team to commit a foul.

But there's a way of solving this problem if the rules makers had the will. If penalty choices were presented and resolved in the order of the occurrence of the live ball fouls, then B would accept the penalty for A's illegal block from the spot of the foul (being behind the end of the run), which would then become the spot for enforcement of the penalty for B's subsequent foul.

Robert in the Bronx

JugglingReferee Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Ump (Post 612382)
3rd and 10 on A's 20. A has only six men on the line at the snap. The runner breaks away and is headed for an apparent touchdown. As the runner is well down field, an A blocker takes a cheap shot at a B player completely out of the play.

Should you (a) offset the illegal formation and personal fouls to replay the down or (b) enforce both resulting in 1st and 10 at A's 30?

CANADIAN RULING:

Fouls:
  1. Illegal formation foul applied at the PLS.
  2. (a) A hits B = Flag for UR, applied at spot of first foul or (b) B hits A = Flag for UR, applied at spot of first foul.

Result (new for 2009): (a) Team A 3D/29 @ A-1 (b) Team A 1D/10 @ A-30.

rookie09 Mon Jul 20, 2009 03:36pm

double foul

I am a rookie,but i know the answer to this scenario.This is a live ball situation so therefore it would be ruled penalties are offset.If the penalties occured after the ball was dead,they would be enforced.