The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

I need help, I think myteam is been suffering some running plays with crack back blocks.

I want to know if this block is considered a crack back block and what would be the correct call.

I will talk about right and left always from the offense point of view

Team A on own 25, A10 pitches ball to the right to Half Back A35 on a Sweep Right play. A82, wide reciever in the right side of the field, goes to block B53, SAM Linebacker, who is focusing on A35 and therefore does not see A82 coming, or sees him but late to react. A82 blocks B53 at knee level.

¿What is the call?
¿Isn´t it a crack back block, because A82 is blocking in the opposite direction of ball movement?

Thank you very much.
Alfonso Bravo
Granada Universitarios (Granada-Spain)
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb This is a block below the waist.

What you are describing is a block below the waist.

Blocking below the waist is only allowed under the following conditions:

1. By offensive and defensive players who are on their line of scrimmage and in the free blocking zone at the snap; and
2. The offensive linemen must be stationary at the snap; and
3. The block must occur in the zone; and
4. The ball must not have left the zone.

The free blocking zone is an area 4 yards on each side of the ball and 3 yards in front and behind the ball at the time of the snap.

The only time A82 can legally block B53 below the waist is if A82 and B53 meet all the requirements listed above. Otherwise its an illegal block below the waist that carries a 15 yard penalty.

From how you describe the play, it sounds like this is an illegal block by A82. I assume he is lined up more than 4 yards away from the center at the snap. Also, I believe SAM is your strong side linebacker so does he line up over the tight end? If so he may or may not be in the zone and on his line at the snap but if A82 does not meet the requirements outlined above then A82 cannot block B53 below the waist. Both players must meet the requirements.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, thanks.

I see, thanks.

But then I dont have clear WHAT is a Crack back Block.
¿Could you help me once more?
Thank you.

(yes, SAM is my strong side, usually Right offesive side,and not, we use zone, so not always lines up with TE)
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Legal blocks.

What rules do you follow in your league?

We follow National Federation rules in our high school league.

The National Federation rule book does not make reference to crack back blocks but in rule 2 it does define what a legal block is.

I don't have my rule book available but a legal block is contacting an opponent in a manner which is not a prohibited action such as clipping, holding, illegal block in the back, pass interference, personal foul, etc. The block must be made within the opponent's frame: at or below the shoulders, above the waist, at the front or side. Note that in the FBZ you can block your opponent below the waist but both players must meet the requirements I specified in my previous reply.

So to answer your question, lets say A82 blocks B53 as described in your example except the contact occurs at the side above the waist. This would be a legal block although I'm sure A82 won't like it.

Hope this helps you better understand the blocking rules.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

You really need to tell us what rules you play under. I seriously doubt that you're playing under NFHS rules.

A block below the waist is usually described by players and coaches as a "cut" block. While the block that you described would be illegal under NF rules, I'm pretty sure it would be legal under NCAA rules.

A "crack back" block is usually done by a wideout who is in motion. He'll hit a DE or blitzing LB in the back.

As Mike stated, neither term is a rulebook term.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

We play NCAA

We play NCAA with some differences, regarding blitzing, stunts and formations, because we play a 7 man outdoor league (this does not mean that in Spain only 7 man is played).

What really gots me is that A82 is blocking towards the ball (lets say a 20º difference towards the ball) to B53, and A82 is positioned before the snap about 15 yards away, he is an open wide reciever close to the sideline.

Phisic involving this knid of hit are enormous, and even more if you hit below waist. As a matter of fact I lost this season 2 players undergoing knee surgery because this kind of block, not only this kind, but what is more, using helmet as first contact to knee.

I was told that the e-1 situation was a crack back block, either with or without motion.

Rule 9-1-2-e

e . Blocking below the waist is permitted except as follows (A.R. 9-1-2-IV-XI):

1 . Offensive players at the snap positioned more than seven yards in
any direction from the middle lineman of the offensive formation or
in motion at the snap are prohibited from blocking below the waist
toward the original position of the ball in or behind the neutral zone
and within 10 yards beyond the neutral zone.
The following formation sets are legal, and the players are not restricted
by Rule 9-1-2-e when blocking toward the ball:
( a ) An offensive end positioned less than two yards from the legal
clipping zone.
( b ) A wing back positioned one yard to the outside of an end who
is flexed no more than one yard from the legal clipping zone.
( c ) A slot back positioned no more than one yard outside the legal
clipping zone and inside an end who is one yard outside the slot
b a c k .
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Also...

Check this link as related to Crack Back Block, mentions exactly same rule.
This is a Camp rules modification I think, but look how they are concerned about this especial rule and specially the last clarifying point.

http://members.atlantic.net/~gilbertr/cusaclnf.htm

Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

?

A couple of quoutes...

I have marked crack back or crack back block with << >>

"
[..]
The commitee also approved changes regarding blocking below the waist by offensive players set wide in a formation or in motion. Previously, offensive players positioned more than seven yards in any direction from the middle offensive lineman at the snap, or in motion toward the ball at the snap, were prohibited from blocking below the waist toward the original position of the ball, commonly referred to as a <>, behind the neutral zone and within five yards beyond the neutral zone.
[..]
"

http://football.refs.org/rules/NCAA2000pr.html

This is from a newbye fan football site

I have quoted it because it describes the kind of play I tried to describe, My SAM Lb being blocked by Z receiver on a Pro Set Right Sweep Right play.

"
Pitch and Sweep

DESCRIPTION
Sweeps and pitch plays are run plays to the outside. The major difference between the two is that the quarterback hands off the ball on a sweep where as the quarterback must toss the ball on a pitch. A major advantage of a sweep is that it allows a ball carrier to search for an open hole and can turn the ball upfield very easily. A pitch allows the ball carrier to get outside much faster and the play develops much quicker.

BLOCKING SCHEME
The basic blocking scheme for the offensive line is straight ahead blocking. The fullback can serve as the lead blocker or can be used to fake the counter play. A "sweep trap" can easily be incorporated - the blocking becomes similar to an outside trap, except the pulling lineman also sweeps to the outside to become the lead blocker.

Preventing an outside linebacker from maintaining outside containment can be useful to help get the back into the open field. This can be accomplished with the use of a <<"crack back">>. A crack back is where the X or Z receiver crashes down on the defender, resulting in a "blind side" block. The receiver can be in motion or can crash from their inital position. In other situations, the Y receiver can block down to create a double team at the outside corner. [..]
"

http://www.football.com/playbook/ptchswp.shtml

Is it therefore, because A81 was further away than 7 yards from center, and running towards ball inicial position, an ilegal -below waist- block?

First I though all crack back blocks where ilegal, but know I think only those below waist.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Michi40
I need help, I think myteam is been suffering some running plays with crack back blocks.

I want to know if this block is considered a crack back block and what would be the correct call.

I will talk about right and left always from the offense point of view

Team A on own 25, A10 pitches ball to the right to Half Back A35 on a Sweep Right play. A82, wide reciever in the right side of the field, goes to block B53, SAM Linebacker, who is focusing on A35 and therefore does not see A82 coming, or sees him but late to react. A82 blocks B53 at knee level.

¿What is the call?
¿Isn´t it a crack back block, because A82 is blocking in the opposite direction of ball movement?

Thank you very much.
Alfonso Bravo
Granada Universitarios (Granada-Spain)
To answer your question, under NCAA rules the play you have described would be a crack back block and illegal.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2002, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Thank You

Thanks, now I´ve got It clear!
Thanks Officials!

Michi
Granada Universitarios