The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Old HS rule regarding KO's

This question was posed by someone in non-officiating related sports forum. Thought I'd shoot over to guys for an answer:

"I had posted the following in another thread--but it really wasn't direclty on-topic of the thread, so I'm starting a new one here...

I seem to vaguely remember back when I was in high school (mid-80s) that in one of our high school games, we received both kickoffs. It wasn't anything to do with the other team "choosing" to kick, or opting to defend a certain end of the field--it was our choice both halves. I think it had something to do with a penalty. I forget if it was unsportsmanlike conduct, or what. It might have been for a delay of game, possibly because the other team was late coming out of the locker room at halftime, such that their captains missed the conference where those decisions are made, so we got to make both decisions for the second half.

Do any of you know if that is/was the rule, now or back then, at high school or any other level? And/or if there are any other reasons beside a) one team choosing to defend a certain goal, instead of to receive, or b) one team choosing to kick, instead of to receive, which would cause one team to kickoff both halves?
"
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

There never was a NFHS penalty that would allow a team to recieve both halves. If it happened to you in a game it would only have been due to the other team choosing to kick off instead of receive when it was their choice. The NFL has that penalty where if a team is late, they forfeit their choice, but it never existed in HS ball.

A team might choose to kick because of strategic factors (wind, field conditions, etc.) or because they made a mistake and said the wrong thing.