The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I use a lanyard. I am not into one-handed timeout signals.

I wear my wedding ring. No problems in 23 years.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
When I first started officiating someone told me I should always remove my wedding ring during games because it could get caught or snagged on a player during the game and could rip off your finger. That stuck with me and I always remove it. I've seen other officials work with their wedding ring on though. The comments around putting the finger whistle in your mouth while clearing up a pile are along the same lines. Do most officials take off their wedding rings (or other jewelry) or is this an unusual practice I picked up early on?
I don't wear my wedding (or any other) ring at all. Several years back, while water skiing, my ring caught on the ski handle and almost took my finger off so for the past 20 + years my ring is a mangled mess resting in my wife's jewelry box.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

My whistle is on a lanyard though I'm not necessarily opposed to giving a finger whistle a try. I also wear my wedding band, even while working umpire.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

for whatever it's worth, the very LAST place you want to put a whistle, when clearing up a scuffle, or even reaching down into a pile of players for a ball (or anything else) is in your mouth. Players bouncing around unexpectedly colliding with whistles, whether they're on the end of a lanyard or your finger can cause a lot of damage to your teeth or mouth.

Sounding your whistle and interacting with players in a "scrum" should always be separate and distinct acts, that absolutely do not mix well.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My whistle is on a lanyard though I'm not necessarily opposed to giving a finger whistle a try. I also wear my wedding band, even while working umpire.
My whistle in on a lanyard.

My lanyard is around my wrist.

I don't wear a wedding band. Ever!

I don't give sloppy, one-handed signals. Ever!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 04:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
for whatever it's worth, the very LAST place you want to put a whistle, when clearing up a scuffle, or even reaching down into a pile of players for a ball (or anything else) is in your mouth. Players bouncing around unexpectedly colliding with whistles, whether they're on the end of a lanyard or your finger can cause a lot of damage to your teeth or mouth.

Sounding your whistle and interacting with players in a "scrum" should always be separate and distinct acts, that absolutely do not mix well.
This is the same advice given to basketball officials administering the jump ball -- do not put the whistle in your mouth cause someday you will take an elbow that will then break off some teeth.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
When I first started officiating someone told me I should always remove my wedding ring during games because it could get caught or snagged on a player during the game and could rip off your finger. That stuck with me and I always remove it. I've seen other officials work with their wedding ring on though. The comments around putting the finger whistle in your mouth while clearing up a pile are along the same lines. Do most officials take off their wedding rings (or other jewelry) or is this an unusual practice I picked up early on?
I wear mine, but my finger whistle covers it up.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I had the pleasure of attending a clinic that Bill Carollo and Butch Hannah put together. Being an umpire at the time, he (BH) had some great pointers and insight and the first thing he mentioned was that the ump should always have a finger whistle due to being bumped, run-over, etc.. and having the whistle in your mouth may cost you several inadvertants over the course of a season. I still used a lanyard, but his pointers stick with me even now as a crew chief.

The wedding ring (or lack thereof) is odd. I've seen rings on nearly every NFL/NCAA ref I've come across.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Thu Feb 12, 2009 at 07:05pm.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 07:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Being an umpire at the time, he (BH) had some great pointers and insight and the first thing he mentioned was that the ump should always have a finger whistle due to being bumped, run-over, etc.. and having the whistle in your mouth may cost you several inadvertants over the course of a season.
That is not a factor for me. I leave my whistle in my mouth until the snap and then I spit it out.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That is not a factor for me. I leave my whistle in my mouth until the snap and then I spit it out.
I did the same, but held it and pulled it out as a habit to make sure I did it. As a ref I do the same, but keep it in hand until I know the snap is off and good and hold it in my hand until I know the qb is safe and away.