The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBryan View Post
Not true:

Please re-read my post above more closely.

ANY team will be able to be a part of the new Federation and play teams that do or do not elect to be a part of it.

Teams playing each other from differing governing bodies has been happening for years. Rescheduling will not need to happen, the precedent has been set.

Best of Luck.

Kb
But they will not be able to participate in state-sponsored championship tournaments. And don't think member schools are going to schedule games (or keep scheduled games) with non-member schools. That's wasting a game night (and possible injuries) on a game that will not count towards their ratings.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not true:

Please re-read my post above more closely.

ANY team will be able to be a part of the new Federation and play teams that do or do not elect to be a part of it.

Teams playing each other from differing governing bodies has been happening for years. Rescheduling will not need to happen, the precedent has been set.

Best of Luck.

Kb
You are right, but there are often standards. I know in my state there are regulations for who teams can play and when they can play. At one time there were travel restrictions as to how far they could play other teams in other states. It is possible (but extremely unlikely) that state associations might outlaw their members from playing in such a program. Then again, we all can dream.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
But they will not be able to participate in state-sponsored championship tournaments. And don't think member schools are going to schedule games (or keep scheduled games) with non-member schools. That's wasting a game night (and possible injuries) on a game that will not count towards their ratings.
In our state all games go towards playoff consideration if they are playing teams within their guidelines. You need 5 wins in a 9 week season to be eligible for post season in Illinois, and those games can be from out of state teams. The question is whether the IHSA would allow their members to play games in such an organization. This would be another consideration if such an organization was formed.

The bottom line, it is not going to happen with schools across the country.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Who is going to officiate these games? I am certified and more importantly insured by the NFHS which covers games governed by the NFHS. I would not be insured if a game was in the KBF (Kurt Bryan Federation.)

Last edited by daggo66; Mon Feb 02, 2009 at 03:58pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 03:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wonder where our boy is now that is was handing out lectures on what we could or could not say?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I wonder where our boy is now that is was handing out lectures on what we could or could not say?
Probably b1tching about the superbowl officials.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

look closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Who is going to officiate these games? I am certified and more importantly insured by the NFHS which covers games governed by the NFHS. I would not be insured if a game was in the KBF (Kurt Bryan Federation.)
Now I am certainly not here touting KB's super federation...however the insurance issue is a non issue. If you look closely, the insurance the federation provides covers you anytime you are working a sport that the federation recognizes. Not just NFHS games. The way I read it, if you work YMCA football games your NFHS insurance covers you if you get hurt working the Y games as well...
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Why would anyone complain about this?

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. If a bunch of schools want to go play this other game that has a passing resemblance to football, who cares? Let them, and I wish them all the success in the world.

Personally, I am full up on actual football games, and don't feel like reffing another sport, so I would pass on picking up any of this new sports games, but no skin off my back if they want to form their own club to play.

Heck, at that point they would not even need to pretend to respect the actual game of football, and could write the rules however they like for their new game. More power to them.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Why would anyone complain about this?

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. If a bunch of schools want to go play this other game that has a passing resemblance to football, who cares? Let them, and I wish them all the success in the world.

Personally, I am full up on actual football games, and don't feel like reffing another sport, so I would pass on picking up any of this new sports games, but no skin off my back if they want to form their own club to play.

Heck, at that point they would not even need to pretend to respect the actual game of football, and could write the rules however they like for their new game. More power to them.
Exactly. I'm sure they'll find plenty of people who want to officiate football*. Sorta like soccer.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dear Officials:

More importantly, it is critical to understand, there are a lot more small schools to mid-size schools in America that have made it clear to us they want to be able to Retain the right to use A-11 on any down if they desire.

And, if the NFHS attempts to ban it. Then YES, there are several viable options being presented to us for Any team wanting to use the offense on
1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th down.

There is plenty of room in America for more than one style or brand of football.

* Great 4th quarter tonight, too bad the Cards lost.

Best of luck to you guys in everything you do.

KB
Never say never. But!

First, I did find one good thing about the A-11, it would reduce the confusion of getting players into the correct number for the position(s) they play.

However, forming a new "league" to replace the stodgy old NFHS is at best a long shot. Consider most schools belong to the state association for all sports and most sports use NFHS rules at the high school level. Colleges recruit at those schools. Players seek to be recruited at those schools. Whole football programs are built around those schools.

As has been pointed out if only a few schools decide to join the cost of travel alone could be a burden to schools already cost conscious budgets. Enough to get push back from most athletic directors.

College recruiters who already focus on a certain set of schools will no doubt pass the A-11 Federation by as being not football. Good players want to get recruited. So, the A-11 Federation becomes alternative football.

Just for some perspective. Soccer is now a major high school sport but that was not always. Thirty-five years ago soccer was only at a handful of schools even with the blessing of NFHS. There was a lot of travel and very little support as it conflicted with football. That has changed with NFHS backing. Imagine if NFHS had not baked the sport.

My last point and this is for Coach Bryan. If you had not publicized the A-11 and just simply run the offense, NFHS would have not had the opportunity to so feverently seek to quash it. When it is ruled illegal what will you have accomplished? You had the approval of the local association. Why not just use what you had rather than seek a wider audience at the risk of having it declared illegal? Once it is illegal you cannot run it at all? If you felt this was best for the players at Piedmont, why did you not leave it within your own confines?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Never say never. But!

First, I did find one good thing about the A-11, it would reduce the confusion of getting players into the correct number for the position(s) they play.

However, forming a new "league" to replace the stodgy old NFHS is at best a long shot. Consider most schools belong to the state association for all sports and most sports use NFHS rules at the high school level. Colleges recruit at those schools. Players seek to be recruited at those schools. Whole football programs are built around those schools.

As has been pointed out if only a few schools decide to join the cost of travel alone could be a burden to schools already cost conscious budgets. Enough to get push back from most athletic directors.

College recruiters who already focus on a certain set of schools will no doubt pass the A-11 Federation by as being not football. Good players want to get recruited. So, the A-11 Federation becomes alternative football.

Just for some perspective. Soccer is now a major high school sport but that was not always. Thirty-five years ago soccer was only at a handful of schools even with the blessing of NFHS. There was a lot of travel and very little support as it conflicted with football. That has changed with NFHS backing. Imagine if NFHS had not baked the sport.

My last point and this is for Coach Bryan. If you had not publicized the A-11 and just simply run the offense, NFHS would have not had the opportunity to so feverently seek to quash it. When it is ruled illegal what will you have accomplished? You had the approval of the local association. Why not just use what you had rather than seek a wider audience at the risk of having it declared illegal? Once it is illegal you cannot run it at all? If you felt this was best for the players at Piedmont, why did you not leave it within your own confines?

You can't make money selling videos if you are flying under the radar.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
You can't make money selling videos if you are flying under the radar.
Ah gee, there you go again with the personal attacks. Prepare to be sued.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
I don't disagree with that but by and large the rules have remained the same. You haven't had someone like KB say that since the keeper can use his hands the other 10 players on my team are all keepers so they can all use their hands.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
I don't disagree with that but by and large the rules have remained the same. You haven't had someone like KB say that since the keeper can use his hands the other 10 players on my team are all keepers so they can all use their hands.
ROTFLMAO! That's perfect.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the NFHS attempts to ban the A-11, things will be set in motion.

This simple example makes things pretty clear and it will Boom nationwide for any team in the country wanting to Retain the Right to use the A-11.

Blah, blah, blah....
KB

When I was younger, there was a saying I heard adults utter from time to time: "Whistling past the grave yard."

Thanks for the bit of nostalgia, Kurt.

I certainly wish you the best in your new endeavor. If by chance it doesn't go quite as gloriously as you envision it, I understand Billy Mays is looking for an assistant.

Seriously though, be sure to come back and let us know which teams decided to withdraw from their state organizations and follow you into oblivion. A claim of "hundreds" won't do. Names, sir, we will need names.