The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
When do you quick backpedaling and start running forward.

Know the few times as the R when I get an interception return coming my way I start backpedaling but have no idea when I turn, I just do it.
When my "lead" drops to 10 yds.
Now that I'm a R, those interception returns depend on where the interception happens. Downfield, it might be a while before I even realize what's going on since I'm focusing on the QB. If it's near the line, I'm most likely turning immediately but I still have to watch the play. So I try to widen away from the ball while I'm running to get the best look I can.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
One of the things I evaluated my BJ on was him standing in the middle of the field or even on the opposite hash when the runner was OOB.

What tip could you offer to avoid or does that just happen sometime?
I'd tell him he has to get closer to that type play. If the runner is OOB, he should be at the close hash while the play is alive. Once the runner goes out he has to close quickly to the ball, especially if you have opposing players in the team box. If he's standing around in the middle of the field or even worse at the far hash, at best he's out of position, at worst he's simply not doing his job.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Let me add to this - when the BJ's primary responsibility isn't the goal line it's the end line.

We usually make this switch at the 15 and in.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Let me add to this - when the BJ's primary responsibility isn't the goal line it's the end line.
Maybe this is a mechanical difference, but anytime the ball is outside of the 10 yard line, the goal line is the BJ's responsibility in my mechanics. It only changes to the end line when at the 10 or closer to the goal line.

Now that might mean that I (as BJ) would have to make sure a play near the sideline is not ruled out by the wing officials before it crosses. But the BJ goes up with the signal and rules on TD, no TD because the wings are not likely to be there.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe this is a mechanical difference, but anytime the ball is outside of the 10 yard line, the goal line is the BJ's responsibility in my mechanics. It only changes to the end line when at the 10 or closer to the goal line.

Now that might mean that I (as BJ) would have to make sure a play near the sideline is not ruled out by the wing officials before it crosses. But the BJ goes up with the signal and rules on TD, no TD because the wings are not likely to be there.

Peace
Things like that often vary according to assoc "rule". Around here the rule of thumb is inside the 15 the BJ goes to the end line. That can vary slightly according to type of play expected at the BJ's discretion just so long as he lets the HL/LJ know what's going on.

Last edited by Mike L; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 04:04pm. Reason: correct the yard line
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I think that's what I was trying to say.