The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Horrible, awful, terrible call. I don't have enough adjectives to describe how bad that call was. When was he holding him while the ball was in the air? There was ZERO contact when the ball was in the air before it was touched. NONE. Go back and watch the first video. They zoom in and slow it down once the ball is released. If Porter wanted to throw the flag because of the "holding" at the line of scrimmage, why didn't he throw his flag then? Why did he wait 3 full seconds after the play was over (And probably 5+ after the "holding" at the line) before he threw the flag?

That was a crap call that stole a national championship. I don't referee football, just basketball, but at least I can admit it when I think a basketball official on TV has kicked a call. Why can't football officials do the same?
I won't be as sugary as the few above me:

You're wrong. It was a great call.

But, need I say more?
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Horrible, awful, terrible call. I don't have enough adjectives to describe how bad that call was. When was he holding him while the ball was in the air? There was ZERO contact when the ball was in the air before it was touched. NONE. Go back and watch the first video. They zoom in and slow it down once the ball is released. If Porter wanted to throw the flag because of the "holding" at the line of scrimmage, why didn't he throw his flag then? Why did he wait 3 full seconds after the play was over (And probably 5+ after the "holding" at the line) before he threw the flag?

That was a crap call that stole a national championship. I don't referee football, just basketball, but at least I can admit it when I think a basketball official on TV has kicked a call. Why can't football officials do the same?
LOL! What complete and total . You're an embarassment to all basketball officials to make such statements.

Look at the photo below and tell me again "There was ZERO contact when the ball was in the air."

Now let's see if you have the balls to admit that you're wrong!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Dec 02, 2008 at 02:32pm.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You didn't even have to tell us you don't officiate football. I can tell by your lack of knowledge regarding the the time it took for the flag to be thrown. You see, in football we don't throw our flag immediately upon seeing a live ball foul. We have guidelines for calling fouls such as advantage versus disadvantage. In this play there was holding, Porter waited to see if the defender gained an obvious advantage and it turned out the hold did put the receiver at a disadvantage so then the flag is thrown. Football officiating is totally different that what you do in basketball. In basketball, you cannot wait to see the whole play, and then decide to call a foul as the ball would probably be on the other end of the court. Football is not like that. We can and will wait a couple of seconds. We have plenty of time to see the play and go through the process of determining if what we saw fits the criteria of the rules and the philosophies under which we are there to enforce. Waiting that extra couple of seconds if very important in making sure we have foul. This is probably why we see a lot of incorrect foul calls in basketball because the official has to be quick. Imagine if you had a couple of seconds to think about what you saw. You'd probably get a lot more right like Porter did in his football game.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
You didn't even have to tell us you don't officiate football. I can tell by your lack of knowledge regarding the the time it took for the flag to be thrown. You see, in football we don't throw our flag immediately upon seeing a live ball foul. We have guidelines for calling fouls such as advantage versus disadvantage. In this play there was holding, Porter waited to see if the defender gained an obvious advantage and it turned out the hold did put the receiver at a disadvantage so then the flag is thrown. Football officiating is totally different that what you do in basketball. In basketball, you cannot wait to see the whole play, and then decide to call a foul as the ball would probably be on the other end of the court. Football is not like that. We can and will wait a couple of seconds. We have plenty of time to see the play and go through the process of determining if what we saw fits the criteria of the rules and the philosophies under which we are there to enforce. Waiting that extra couple of seconds if very important in making sure we have foul. This is probably why we see a lot of incorrect foul calls in basketball because the official has to be quick. Imagine if you had a couple of seconds to think about what you saw. You'd probably get a lot more right like Porter did in his football game.
Yup.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm...I don't do football either, but I thought it was correct as soon as I saw the replay back then. I wondered why it was a "late flag," but later, I learned from a local football official that there's no such thing as a late flag.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Say what you want about me, I don't really care. I'll always stand by what I said. It was a kicked call. The funny thing after watching those videos again is that Gamble didn't get his head around in time to even make the catch and it hit him right between the hands and he dropped it. No wonder he plays defensive back and not receiver in the NFL.

The "Luckeyes" stole a national championship.

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 10:19pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
You didn't even have to tell us you don't officiate football. I can tell by your lack of knowledge regarding the the time it took for the flag to be thrown. You see, in football we don't throw our flag immediately upon seeing a live ball foul. We have guidelines for calling fouls such as advantage versus disadvantage. In this play there was holding, Porter waited to see if the defender gained an obvious advantage and it turned out the hold did put the receiver at a disadvantage so then the flag is thrown.
Holding? Where? If there was holding, why didn't they call holding?

Quote:
This is probably why we see a lot of incorrect foul calls in basketball because the official has to be quick. Imagine if you had a couple of seconds to think about what you saw. You'd probably get a lot more right like Porter did in his football game.
So you can only be incorrect ("A lot" by the way) if you make calls quickly? Maybe basketball officials are just more talented since they can make split-second decisions and you guys sit around and wait to call something.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
LOL! What complete and total . You're an embarassment to all basketball officials to make such statements.

Look at the photo below and tell me again "There was ZERO contact when the ball was in the air."

Now let's see if you have the balls to admit that you're wrong!
How can you even tell there is pass interference? Because this picture tells you there is? You can't see Sharpe's right hand, and the videos of this play don't show Gamble being contacted while the ball is in flight. So no, I won't admit I'm wrong.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:28pm

Oh well, we tried to help you there sparky.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you even tell there is pass interference? Because this picture tells you there is? You can't see Sharpe's right hand, and the videos of this play don't show Gamble being contacted while the ball is in flight. So no, I won't admit I'm wrong.
We've all seen the play so we know there's contact. You say that there was no contact while the ball was in the air. Yet the photo confirms that the contact occurs while the ball is in the air.

It's just as I thought. You are man enough to admit when you're wrong. You're just a fanboy.

Go away fanboy. This site is for officials.

Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Holding? Where? If there was holding, why didn't they call holding?
Holding while the ball is in the air is pass interference, numbnuts.

Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 10:53pm

zm

As an official of any sport you should have learned by now that the only ones who understand all of what and why they call things are the guys working the games. That would be you in basketball since you call basketball. But that wouldn't be you in football because you don't call it. You sound like a thousand moronic fans that have said the same exact, uninformed and dis-informed things you've said on this board. And no doubt you've never:

1) Read an NCAA or conference philosophy statement. For that matter it's not likely you even knew they existed before now.
2) Read weekly bulletins.
2) Been to a football clinic. Let alone several.
3) Sat in on local college rules study groups where things like you've been told here are discussed regularly.
4) Been graded regularly and often for years for working football games.
5) Been dinged by a supervisor for mistakes made while calling football.
6) Listened in while others got dinged by a supervisor for mistakes they made.
7) Been praised by a supervisor for doing the occasional great job.

I'll bet your quite the deal to work with in basketball. And just to make your day were you aware that this call is now officially listed as one of the best calls ever made.

NASO Press Releases

If you don't like it then I suggest you print off a copy of the press release and wipe your snotty nose with it.

Last edited by sj; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 11:01pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
zm
I'll bet your quite the deal to work with in basketball. And just to make your day were you aware that this call is now officially listed as one of the best calls ever made.

NASO Press Releases

If you don't like it then I suggest you print off a copy of the press release and wipe your snotty nose with it.
That's like the fox guarding the hen house now isn't it? Since Referee Magazine said so, it must be right. What are they going to do, come out and say Porter is a moron and that he blew it?

Now I know why NFL and college football officials are so incompetent: They were once high school football officials. (Can anyone say OU/Oregon last year? Are they going to tell us that was a great call too?)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...(Can anyone say OU/Oregon last year? Are they going to tell us that was a great call too?)
REPLY: No...and if you actually read REFEREE Magazine, you would have seen their discussions about that OU-OSU call. They dissected why it was wrong, and what the contributing factors were to making that incorrect call and review. So it seems the fox did a pretty good job on that one, don't you think?

One other criticism of this crew that needs to be squashed: Many have asked why, if this foul was so blatant, didn't the line judge (L) standing right next to it, throw his flag. Simple answer is that he wasn't--and shouldn't have been--looking at it. Since the strength of the formation was to the far side (OSU had trips over there), the back judge was keying his receiver on that side. That left Porter, the field judge, keying the WR on the near side and the L keying on the TE split about two yards from the tackle. In the still photo, you can see the L looking past the WR and watching the TE-defender interaction just below the second "M" in the Miami endzone logo. Porter is out of the frame, but was obviously watching Gamble and Sharpe. Both were looking precisely where they were supposed to be looking.

The amazing thing about all of the fans who spout off about the perceived incompetence of college or professional officials is that if put into that same position themselves, they would no doubt need a clean pair of knickers after about two minutes of the first quarter...or sooner.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's like the fox guarding the hen house now isn't it? Since Referee Magazine said so, it must be right. What are they going to do, come out and say Porter is a moron and that he blew it?

Now I know why NFL and college football officials are so incompetent: They were once high school football officials. (Can anyone say OU/Oregon last year? Are they going to tell us that was a great call too?)
If you think you could do a better job then jump right up. I'd bet a game check that you couldn't make it past the 1st Qtr. You'd be running off the field after all the abuse you'd get for the bad calls you'd make. Take the challenge. Until then, you have no voice in this issue because you are not trained in the game of football and have no clue whatsoever about the rules. You've proven that already.