The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 11:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Too true, but I try to inoculate myself wherever possible. What do you consider to be an improper sideline warning?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
I totally believe coaches have the right to file formal complaints about officials with the state when justified. But the day our state lets head coaches evaluate officials, ding them and dictate who works their game is the day that I (and a large percentage my fellow officials) decide to find another hobby and let GHSA and the coaches call their own games ....
It really does become a political game when the coaches vote. I can tell you that more than half have very little idea about mechanics and indepth rules understanding.

For example, last week I had a coah become irrate because of a horsecollar tackle (that really wasn't all that viscious to begine with). I had to tell him three times before he would believe me that its not a federation foul. I can't tell you how much I hear coaches call BIB "clipping".
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Pretty sure this is a proper use of the sideline warning. No coaches were on the field, they were just getting in my way, without contact, during a live ball.
That is not a sideline warning. I've already said it a few times, but being in your way is not a sideline warning. You can stand out of bounds and they can put one coach directly behind you and one on each side of you.

Sideline warning - More than 3 coaches in the 6 foot area or any players between the 25 yard lines. Players are only allowed in this 6 foot area as they are entering or leaving the field.

Sideline interference - Being outside of the team box but not on the field. That means that someone is out of bounds, but has gone past the 25 yard line.

Unsportsmanlike foul - Only players allowed on the field; anyone else = USC. There are a few exceptions:

Authorized conferences (charged timeout) - Middle of the field - 1 coach allowed on field.
- Within 9 yards of sideline - Everyone can be out there.

Three attendants (water boys) allowed on field during timeouts (charged, TV, after try/field goal/safety, injury, heat/huminity) *Note that the rules do not allow coaches on the field during the timeout following a score.

Injury timeout - Coach and attendants (doctor, trainer) allowed on field to attend to player.

That is the summary of where people are allowed to stand during the game. Nowhere does it say it is a foul for getting in an official's way.

On your second flag, he didn't commit a USC foul, so you just decided to call a different foul on him. That doesn't make sense. He may or may not have deserved the USC, but he for sure did not deserve the sideline warning.

Last edited by LDUB; Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 05:09pm.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Worst thing said … During pre-game conference of a varsity game – asked the coach if he might do anything unusual. He said he may attempt a drop kick for two on a try. I told him that was fine but it’s only worth one point. First balloon popped!

Worst thing II … He then said he planned to move his holder up 3-4 yards on the drop-kick in hopes of drawing a roughing the holder call. I explained if the holder never possesses the ball … Second balloon popped!

Needless to say, he lost several more balloons during the game.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

A coach complaining about a call at a previous game. Defensive lineman called for USC for what the official explained was attempting to disrupt the snap count. Claims all the defensive player was dojng was shouting, "hut, hut".