The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

I've got one from this year that is probably my most upsetting yet (9 years and counting).

I ran into a coach when covering a punt and threw my flag (15 yards).
After we set up, he calls the R over (who brings me). Coach agrees that the flag is valid (he was about 2 yards on the field when we collided), but said that I attacked him (by putting my arm up for a 'forearm shiver' when he came into my periferal view) and that if I ever touched him again there would be hell to pay and I would be sorry because no one would hold him back.

The R - who has reffed all levels in Germany, has officiated numerous championship games and is a top European official (I'm not sure but he might have also been invloved in the NFL Europe) - not only does not warn or punish the coach for an obvious threat, but doesn't even take off a timeout for the 'coaches conference' to complain about a legitimate flag.

What upsets me is that he didn't take the threat to me serious.

As a side comment, that was a youth game. The coach was a player on his men's team who played right after, and I was U - right in the middle of the action. He didn't step out of line on the field, but I was a little jumpy during plays when I knew he was there.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I made up my own mechanic Saturday after an hour of assistants carping about BIB's that weren't there. I started pointing at blocks on long downfield plays just to indicate that I saw the block, and that since I didn't throw a flag it was in my opinion legal. Don't think I'd adopt it, but it at least shut them up about me "not seeing blocks in the back."

All these comments are making me happy that I get to stay between the hashes for most of the game....
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a two man freshman A game, and I was working with someone of advanced age (79 years old) and he was obviously not running nor throwing any flags. So the coach on his sideline comes to me and tells me that I need to stop calling any penalties because the guy on the other side is not calling anything and I am cheating him out of plays by calling holding or DPI. Well, if that was not bad enough, he then comes out to tell me that the guy across from me has missed 10 calls against the home team, and I am obviously being biased for them because I am on their side of the field, "I wonder how much they are paying you?" he says. I throw the flag, and he tells me he was wondering about the pay rate I was getting and that I should get double because I was doing all the work...Yeah right. This was all during a series of time outs. My only thinking was, why the heck is he yelling at me and not the other guy!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
I've got one from this year that is probably my most upsetting yet (9 years and counting).

I ran into a coach when covering a punt and threw my flag (15 yards).
After we set up, he calls the R over (who brings me). Coach agrees that the flag is valid (he was about 2 yards on the field when we collided), but said that I attacked him (by putting my arm up for a 'forearm shiver' when he came into my periferal view) and that if I ever touched him again there would be hell to pay and I would be sorry because no one would hold him back.

The R - who has reffed all levels in Germany, has officiated numerous championship games and is a top European official (I'm not sure but he might have also been invloved in the NFL Europe) - not only does not warn or punish the coach for an obvious threat, but doesn't even take off a timeout for the 'coaches conference' to complain about a legitimate flag.

What upsets me is that he didn't take the threat to me serious.

As a side comment, that was a youth game. The coach was a player on his men's team who played right after, and I was U - right in the middle of the action. He didn't step out of line on the field, but I was a little jumpy during plays when I knew he was there.
You were also standing there and heard the threat, yet did nothing. Perhaps the R was giving you a chance to show you could handle the situation.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Had an assistant chirp off to me recently. There was what looked like a violent tackle across the field from me at the five yard line. The coaches all start harpping. I tell them that it looked legal to me and that my partners were on top of it. The assistant chimes in with "That's what they all say!" and I turn to him and say, "I don't want to hear another word out of you, you're an assistant"! Were fine for quite some time and then it happens again. A rough but legal tackle and he chimes in again. "Are you ever going to throw a flag?" I turn, look him in the eyes and toss my flag. I earlier in the game had tossed one for sideline warning so this was a five yarder. I could have gone USC, but I didn't feel that was fair to the kids to punish them for this idiots comments. Plus it didn't really hurt them anyway as it was fourth down and they were punting anyway.
In the following section regarding unsportmanlike conduct, the warning is only listed for article 1k and article 3. Article 1a-d covers the behavior of coaches and the only penalty listed is 15 yards. There is no warning for behavior.

SECTION 8 NONCONTACT UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT BY NONPLAYERS
ART. 1 No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:
a. Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures.
NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances including on the basis of race, religion, gender or national origin.
b. Attempting to influence a decision by an official.
c. Disrespectfully addressing an official.
d. Indicating objections to an official’s decision.
e. Using any illegal communication equipment as outlined in 1-5-3b and 1-6.
f. Holding an unauthorized conference.
NOTE: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are not an unauthorized conference.
g. The failure of a team to be ready to start either half.
h. Failure of the head coach, following verification, to have his player(s) wear or use legal and/or required equipment.
i. Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player. (See 3-7-6; 9-6-4a)
j. Using tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
k. Being outside the team box, but not on the field. (See 9-8-3)
l. A substitute who leaves the team box during a fight.
ART. 2 Three attendants, none of whom is a coach, may enter the field to attend their team during a charged time-out or a TV/radio time-out, during the one-minute following a try, a successful field goal or safety, and prior to the succeeding free kick, between periods and during an official’s time-out for unusual heat and humidity. During a time-out for injury, the coach and/or such attendants as may be deemed necessary by the referee may, with permission, enter to attend the injured player(s). In no other case, except as in 2-6, shall any non-player other than an entering substitute enter without the referee’s permission.
ART. 3 A non-player shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the coaches’ area.
PENALTY: Non-player fouls (Art. 1a through j) (S27), (S7-27) if dead ball 15 yards. Non-player foul (Art. 2) (S19) 5 yards, unless repeated or unsportsmanlike (S27) 15 yards. (Arts. 1k, 3) (S15) First offense-warning. (S7-29) Second offense 5 yards, each subsequent offense (S7-29-27) 15 yards. (Art. 1) (S27-47) 15 yards and disqualification. (Arts. 1, 2, 3) Any single flagrant foul is disqualification. A second unsportsmanlike foul with a 15-yard penalty results in disqualification. (See 9-5 Pen) A disqualified member of the coaching staff shall be ejected from the stadium area and be prohibited from any further contact, direct or indirect, with his team during the remainder of the game. For failure to comply, the referee may forfeit the game.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JugglingReferee;544255]Well, with me having maybe a dozen games left in the year, it might be safe to say that the worst that a coach has said to me has already been said:

"What is that call? You just made that up."

QUOTE]

No way he said that. I don't believe that for one second...

If you are in Canada he might have said, "What is that Call, You just made that up eh (pronounce "A" of course)? But no way did he say it the way that you portrayed it above.

I crack myself up.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe not the worst but definately one of the ... Last friday night during our pre-game conference with the coach. Us: Coach do you have anything planned that might suprise us? Coach: We run a tackle eligible with number 64. but don't worry, he'll report.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

An assistant coach (known for stuff like this) complaining that my linesman "took up my whole timeout" trying to get them to move to a legal location for a conference. I told him, yes, my linesman was correct in doing that and quickly explained the rule. Then he said "but he called me by my name. I don't know his name (he does, actually)."

So I said (names changed), "Coach Johnson, I'd like you to meet Steve Smith."

Then I went to the headcoach, who had a (edited)-eating grin on his face, and said, "You gonna take care of this for me?" The coach laughed, patted me on the back and said "Yeah, I"ll take care of it" as he walked away laughing. He later told my linesman, "You know better than to listen to anything he says."
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 06:56pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
In the following section regarding unsportmanlike conduct, the warning is only listed for article 1k and article 3. Article 1a-d covers the behavior of coaches and the only penalty listed is 15 yards. There is no warning for behavior.

SECTION 8 NONCONTACT UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT BY NONPLAYERS
ART. 1 No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:
a. Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures.
NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances including on the basis of race, religion, gender or national origin.
b. Attempting to influence a decision by an official.
c. Disrespectfully addressing an official.
d. Indicating objections to an official’s decision.
e. Using any illegal communication equipment as outlined in 1-5-3b and 1-6.
f. Holding an unauthorized conference.
NOTE: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are not an unauthorized conference.
g. The failure of a team to be ready to start either half.
h. Failure of the head coach, following verification, to have his player(s) wear or use legal and/or required equipment.
i. Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player. (See 3-7-6; 9-6-4a)
j. Using tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
k. Being outside the team box, but not on the field. (See 9-8-3)
l. A substitute who leaves the team box during a fight.
ART. 2 Three attendants, none of whom is a coach, may enter the field to attend their team during a charged time-out or a TV/radio time-out, during the one-minute following a try, a successful field goal or safety, and prior to the succeeding free kick, between periods and during an official’s time-out for unusual heat and humidity. During a time-out for injury, the coach and/or such attendants as may be deemed necessary by the referee may, with permission, enter to attend the injured player(s). In no other case, except as in 2-6, shall any non-player other than an entering substitute enter without the referee’s permission.
ART. 3 A non-player shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the coaches’ area.
PENALTY: Non-player fouls (Art. 1a through j) (S27), (S7-27) if dead ball 15 yards. Non-player foul (Art. 2) (S19) 5 yards, unless repeated or unsportsmanlike (S27) 15 yards. (Arts. 1k, 3) (S15) First offense-warning. (S7-29) Second offense 5 yards, each subsequent offense (S7-29-27) 15 yards. (Art. 1) (S27-47) 15 yards and disqualification. (Arts. 1, 2, 3) Any single flagrant foul is disqualification. A second unsportsmanlike foul with a 15-yard penalty results in disqualification. (See 9-5 Pen) A disqualified member of the coaching staff shall be ejected from the stadium area and be prohibited from any further contact, direct or indirect, with his team during the remainder of the game. For failure to comply, the referee may forfeit the game.
I didn't warn him, they got a 5 yarder for their 2nd sideline violation. I thought it was the right thing to do as he got the point.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
I didn't warn him, they got a 5 yarder for their 2nd sideline violation. I thought it was the right thing to do as he got the point.
The sideline warning has to do with where people who are off the field are standing. Anything someone says is a USC foul not a sideline warning.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
After we penalized his team for intentional grounding on a pass that was nowhere near anybody offense or defense and he argued his TE was in the area, the coach yelled "I'm going to murder you on the Internet." This is in reference to our state's process for rating officials for playoff advancement. It is done once a year online and any coach can vote for any crew. In our post-game we decided the coach probably deserved an opportunity to re-state his opinion (give him enough rope to hang himself) or an instant flag.
Anyone who threatens our rating (or schedule) gets ejected. Period. Ejected in a baseball game, a flagrant technical in a basketball game, flagrant USC in football. He may "murder me on the Internet" but he's not going to be around to finish the game.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 09:05pm.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Anyone who threatens our rating (or schedule) gets ejected. Period. Ejected in a baseball game, a flagrant technical in a basketball game, flagrant USC in football. He may "murder me on the Internet" but he's not going to be around to finish the game.
In hindsight I think we wish we would have done it. We've talked to other crews who had similar issues with this coach. Especially in this case since it was yelled from the sideline to the middle of the field and not just something said to the wing official next to him.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

This thread is cracking me up! Lol!

I've seriously laughed out loud a couple of times. I'll have to think about mine and post later. It's been a pretty calm year for me. But I've heard some doozies over the years.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:16pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
The sideline warning has to do with where people who are off the field are standing. Anything someone says is a USC foul not a sideline warning.
However, I felt that the way I handled it was more appropriate. It was a tight ball game and the kids were playing hard without incident. I wasn't going to let the actions of one adult cause me to what I felt would have penalized the kids more than him.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
After we penalized his team for intentional grounding on a pass that was nowhere near anybody offense or defense and he argued his TE was in the area, the coach yelled "I'm going to murder you on the Internet." This is in reference to our state's process for rating officials for playoff advancement. It is done once a year online and any coach can vote for any crew. In our post-game we decided the coach probably deserved an opportunity to re-state his opinion (give him enough rope to hang himself) or an instant flag.
That's automatic in any sport.
A coach can rate a crew he hasn't seen during the season?