The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Q from 1st yr.: fair catch

I had a situation in a JV game last night that I thought I called correctly until I thought about it on the way home. I probably was over-thinking things trying to make sure I had done things right, but wanted to check.

I was LJ (4 man) and was back with R on a punt. He signaled for a fair catch, muffed it and then recovered with knee(s) down so it was dead. I blew it down after he had his knee(s) down after the muff.

My thought on the way home was is it dead after he touches it (thinking about it today I'm thinking no, but wasn't sure while in my car)?

And taking it a step further, if he didn't have his knees down and recovered the muff he still could not advance it, even if he wanted to, correct?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
R could pick up the muff and advance it, K can't advance a muff.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Once we have a fair catch signal R can never gain possession of the ball and advance. And we know that if the ball is beyond the expanded neutral zone the K can't advance if they recover a kick first touched by R. So if we get a signal by R then there are almost no situations where the ball doesn't become dead upon possession.

I think if R muffed the kick back behind the neutral zone or if the kick bounced untouched back behind the neutral zone that K could advance. Otherwise that ball is dead.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
R could pick up the muff and advance it, K can't advance a muff.

i'm sorry, i overlooked the part of "he signaled for a fair catch." the ball can not be advanced.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

This is also why you hold the whistle on a fair catch until you're certain that possession has been obtained.

Years ago, I anticipated the possession on the fair catch and the guy muffed it as I blew the whistle. K could have recovered (but not advanced it). So I learned (the hard way) to hold that whistle until R has definitively gained possession and then you don't let him advance after the fair catch.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Hi Over and back, I sent you a message,can you reply,thanks.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I did, bro.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Use a finger whistle. Turn it upside down and backwards on your hand when back on punts. That'll force you to delay your whistle, and probably save your butt on one of those fair catch/muff situations.

Learned that from the white hat on my very first field game as a JV line judge.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I tell our BJ and LJ that any time there is a valid or invalid fair catch signal made, there will be NO return by anyone!

Go to your definition of WHEN a kick ends. That is probably the most important definition for anyone covering punts.

DROP the whistle from your mouth after the snap. (I think I am repeating myself here.)
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 03:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I tell our BJ and LJ that any time there is a valid or invalid fair catch signal made, there will be NO return by anyone!
Unless K recovers behind the LOS...