The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Face Mask question NFL SD vs DEN (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49007-face-mask-question-nfl-sd-vs-den.html)

fljet Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:39am

Face Mask question NFL SD vs DEN

In this debacle of a game there was a face mask penalty awarded to Denver.

The play was called against cromartie, however cromartie did not grab his facemask, let alone grab and pull it down, and it did not appear to be intentional as he was actually going up for the football and the foul occurred after the pass went over his head.

he did however grasp the back of Marshalls helmet and brought him down.

Before he grabbed the back of his helmet, his hand brushed the facemask, but no grasping occured.

Did the crew missjudge this play the SJ was right in front of it? or are you not allowed to grab the back of a players helmet?

I really wish they did not get rid of the 5 banger, because this is a usually a judgement call and a tough one. Im sure some crews will be more lenient than others.

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:53am

In the NFL, it is also a facemask if one grabs the underside of an opponent's helmet.

In the NFL, it is also a facemask if one grabs the earhole of an opponent's helmet.

The correct call was made.

waltjp Thu Sep 18, 2008 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 537773)
In the NFL, it is also a facemask if one grabs the underside of an opponent's helmet.

In the NFL, it is also a facemask if one grabs the earhole of an opponent's helmet.

The correct call was made.

This is also true in FED. Not sure about NCAA.

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 18, 2008 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 537787)

Also true in Canada. :D

waltjp Thu Sep 18, 2008 08:10am

Keep in mind that the original post was by someone who claims to be an official. :rolleyes:

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 18, 2008 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 537817)
Keep in mind that the original post was by someone who claims to be an official. :rolleyes:

Maybe the new feature of member-edittable tags is for tagging guys like the OP as trolls. :p

JasonTX Thu Sep 18, 2008 08:24am

Quote:

It is true for NCAA as well.

mbyron Thu Sep 18, 2008 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 537825)
It is true for NCAA as well.

As it should be. Tackling anyone by any part of the helmet is extremely dangerous.

cmathews Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:17am

9-1-2-q

No player shall twist, turn or pull the face mask or any helmet opening of an opponent..............

and the biggest opening on a helmet is that part that the head fits through :D

Welpe Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:49am

You are an official and don't know this very basic rule? :confused:

LDUB Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljet (Post 537772)
I really wish they did not get rid of the 5 banger, because this is a usually a judgement call and a tough one. Im sure some crews will be more lenient than others.

If only the NFL would do something to educate the officials and get on the same page. When will they learn that each crew enforcing some things and ignoring others won't work? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 18, 2008 05:55pm

Quote:

Actually I'm pretty sure NCAA adopted the "any helmet opening" rule before either Fed or NFL.

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 18, 2008 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 537831)
As it should be. Tackling anyone by any part of the helmet is extremely dangerous.

But pulling on most parts wasn't so dangerous until the currently secured chin straps came into use. Used to be if you pulled on the back of the helmet, it just came off. Otherwise they'd've adopted the "any helmet opening" much earlier -- even before face bars came into use, if the 4-pt. attachment had come about earlier.

Robert

fljet Fri Sep 19, 2008 02:58am

back of helmet

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 537817)

I am a first year official in pop warner, not claiming to be an expert asking a serious question and not looking for a smart-*** answer.

I am not famillar with the new rule changes in the NFL rulebook all I know is that they did away with the Garden variety facemask.

Since he did not grab an opening or the facemask, it should not have been ruled a penalty

He grabed the backside of the crown of the helmet and fell to the ground

Another missed call by this crew I hope Mike P. at the NFL office caught it

JugglingReferee Fri Sep 19, 2008 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljet (Post 538040)
I am a first year official in pop warner, not claiming to be an expert asking a serious question and not looking for a smart-*** answer.

I am not famillar with the new rule changes in the NFL rulebook all I know is that they did away with the Garden variety facemask.

Since he did not grab an opening or the facemask, it should not have been ruled a penalty

He grabed the backside of the crown of the helmet and fell to the ground

Another missed call by this crew I hope Mike P. at the NFL office caught it

What exactly is the backside of the crown of the helmet that one can grab?

Can you steal a picture of a helmet from the web, open it up in Microsoft Paint, point an arrow to where you mean that someone grabbed?