The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 08:10am
M.A.S.H.

IHSA Football Officials

Today the IHSA releases the Football Rules Interpretation Meeting online for the first time in any sport. I think we can all agree this is the future for all sports.

So, your thoughts on the meeting? What are some things you liked about it and what are some things you didn't like? What would you change for next year?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I watched the video last night. I liked being able to do this online from my home and on my schedule. It covered all the areas that needed to be covered -- but no mention of the A-11 offense

Only major issue I had was the size of the video they put up. It would have been nice to actually be able to read the slides of the rules presentation. I would suggest the IHSA put two or three selections of video sizes up on the site and allow people to choose the size of the video they want to see based upon their bandwidtih.

It also would have been nice to have some video to help us understand the points of emphasis because pictures don't show us the action. (As an example, show us video of illegal helmet contact--even if it was a college video)

In my opinion, this was a solid effort for the first year.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:04am
M.A.S.H.

I agree it was a solid effort for the first year. I downloaded the file and watched it from my own viewer which allowed me to make it bigger. I was able to make out everything from the slides; however, the words were a little blurred.

I also agree that video examples would be a nice addition.

The A-11 offense is addressed in the "Case situations & notes" on your personal site which was updated today.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I looked at your site a little bit and was wondering how does the state know if you did anything with it, besides open it and fly thru the pages and say "I did it?" It would be a great way to do it if some accountability was there. I'm just wondering if they have done anything to see if the officials really "used" the online rules meeting?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was a great first-year effort. I viewed it over my lunch hour, and it was about 25 minutes long. Officials have the option to review the meeting again, or download the meeting onto disc for group discussion.

I maximized the video and found it to be too fuzzy. I returned to the main page and was able to follow along ok.

This saves a lot of paperwork by not only the participants, but also the IHSA in having to process the paperwork.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:44pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I looked at your site a little bit and was wondering how does the state know if you did anything with it, besides open it and fly thru the pages and say "I did it?" It would be a great way to do it if some accountability was there. I'm just wondering if they have done anything to see if the officials really "used" the online rules meeting?
It isn't a slide show, it is a video. I suppose one could fast forward through it. There's a button at the bottom of the page that you click to get credit. What they can do is see how long you were at the page and if it was ample time to complete the meeting (~25 minutes). Again, I suppose one could just let the video play and then click the button. I would assume these are the same people who went to the meeting in years past and didn't pay attention and just filled out their attendance sheet.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
There's a button at the bottom of the page that you click to get credit. What they can do is see how long you were at the page and if it was ample time to complete the meeting (~25 minutes). Again, I suppose one could just let the video play and then click the button. I would assume these are the same people who went to the meeting in years past and didn't pay attention and just filled out their attendance sheet.
Correct and correct.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I would assume these are the same people who went to the meeting in years past and didn't pay attention and just filled out their attendance sheet.
I hear you there!!!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:05pm
Chain of Fools

Is this password protected material?

I'd like to take a look at the video if possible.

NC is talking about adding video to our website but it takes us awhile to move beyond that.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

IHSA clip

Yes you have to enter your official id number and password to view the clip
Old Thu Aug 07, 2008, 08:32am
M.A.S.H.

The IHSA has good relationships with other states. If you drop your state a note telling them what the IHSA has done, I'm sure if NC asks that they will be willing to let them view it.

I know in earlier years the IHSA helped Flordia (I think) allow their officials to begin taking their Part I Exam online.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

An Illinois official can download the file and send it to anyone. I have it myself if others would like a look.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of online. If enough states opt for online (pdf) rules and case books, perhaps NF would consider a digital option instead of wasting paper (and those precious resources!)
However, NF sees only the cash they make from the sales.