The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Black Pants Lions vs Cowboys (https://forum.officiating.com/football/40213-black-pants-lions-vs-cowboys.html)

ajmc Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:37am

The NFHS Officials Manual describes, in detail, the required uniform for HS Officials in 48 States. It includes both "all-white tapered knickers, as well as "By State Association adoption, white officiating shorts (5-inch inseam) may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew."

The black pants worn by the NFL officials are designed to go with their proprietory striped shirts, which cannot be worn without permission of the NFL. There is no functional perspective, other than fabric, that differentiates these pants from knickers, and I suspect whatever fabric is used for these pants could be used for white knickers.

A major purpose of the new NFL uniforms was to differentiate NFL officials from officials at other levels, so the league could control how these uniforms might be used in commercials.

The purpose of the current officials uniform is to clearly differentiate officials from players on the field, something white knickers seem to do quite well. If you don't work at the NFL level, and fashion consciousness is a serious concern, there's always soccer.

JRutledge Mon Nov 17, 2008 02:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 551127)
The NFHS Officials Manual describes, in detail, the required uniform for HS Officials in 48 States. It includes both "all-white tapered knickers, as well as "By State Association adoption, white officiating shorts (5-inch inseam) may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew."

The black pants worn by the NFL officials are designed to go with their proprietory striped shirts, which cannot be worn without permission of the NFL. There is no functional perspective, other than fabric, that differentiates these pants from knickers, and I suspect whatever fabric is used for these pants could be used for white knickers.

A major purpose of the new NFL uniforms was to differentiate NFL officials from officials at other levels, so the league could control how these uniforms might be used in commercials.

The purpose of the current officials uniform is to clearly differentiate officials from players on the field, something white knickers seem to do quite well. If you don't work at the NFL level, and fashion consciousness is a serious concern, there's always soccer.

Do not assume all 48 (member) States require this. I do not see a lot of options of the football uniform like other sports at this time, but I am sure if a state wanted to change (like other sports have), they would. And my state does not even use the Officials Manuals anymore, so it is possible if there was another type of football uniform, they could change. It is not likely, but possible.

Peace

Blue37 Mon Nov 17, 2008 09:21am

Please, please, please.

Do not resurrect year old posts. I did not check the date and was elated to see a post by Garth. I thought he was back.

Refster Tue Nov 18, 2008 08:42pm

I like the black pants. Up close they look comfortable and professional.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Nov 21, 2008 02:41pm

I think the pants would make the dunlap disease sufferers look better than they do in the knickers. *whistling*

JugglingReferee Fri Nov 21, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 552292)
I think the pants would make the dunlap disease sufferers look better than they do in the knickers. *whistling*

Dunlap disease is an American phenomenon. :p

OverAndBack Fri Nov 21, 2008 04:30pm

How would we look in black knickers? A slimming effect. ;)

http://www.kenn.com/images/ref_black_knickers.jpg

In AZ, we wear black shorts for everything below varsity. Not white. Only varsity wears knickers.

If you lived here, you'd understand why. :)

Blue37 Fri Nov 21, 2008 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 552307)
Dunlap disease is an American phenomenon. :p

As is "furniture" disease, you know... when you chest falls into your drawers.