The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Covering Field Goal with 5-man mechanics (NFHS)

Reading through five man mechanics for a field goal, you place two officials under the goal posts, one official on the line, umpire in the defensive backfield and referee in offensive backfield positioned to view the kicker and holder and watch the ball placed on the ground.

Is that generally the way it is done?

My concern is you can leave a sideline exposed as the manual has you position your umpire toward the uncovered sideline.

What if you get a block and the ball goes toward that sideline?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Reading through five man mechanics for a field goal, you place two officials under the goal posts, one official on the line, umpire in the defensive backfield and referee in offensive backfield positioned to view the kicker and holder and watch the ball placed on the ground.

My concern is you can leave a sideline exposed as the manual has you position your umpire toward the uncovered sideline.

We have the R facing the holder and fairly wide. The wing official behind the R goes under. The U cheats to the side of the official who goes under. That puts both the R and the U on the uncovered side.

Additionally, if the play explodes, (block or bad snap), the wing underneath moves laterally along the endline until he reaches the sideline then moves up the sideline.

This seems to give us good coverage.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ed,

The picture in the last mechincs book is wrong. The L in the diagram should be under the goal post and the LJ on the line. The mechanic was changed last year but the diagram is wrong. The correct diagram can be found at NFHS.org under the football rules section. Look for the updated interpretations.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland

CANADIAN MECHANICS:

This is also the formation for 5-man FGA in Canada.

The R is supposed to go to wide side, but I prefer the short (empty) side to cover the sideline if needed.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I don't know when we missed the memo, but for FG coverage inside the 15, we have the BJ and the U on the posts. LJ and L on the line. R facing the holder.

Outside the 15, we have the BJ alone. U, LJ, and L in their normal positions, and R facing the holder.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I don't know when we missed the memo, but for FG coverage inside the 15, we have the BJ and the U on the posts. LJ and L on the line. R facing the holder.

Outside the 15, we have the BJ alone. U, LJ, and L in their normal positions, and R facing the holder.

How in the world can the BJ alone cover the goal posts by himself? You should never have just one person under the goal on a FG or PAT.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:44pm

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldsooner

How in the world can the BJ alone cover the goal posts by himself? You should never have just one person under the goal on a FG or PAT.
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

In our 4-man games, we have one guy under the posts. If close to the goal line (our uprights are on the goal line), the U can also go under.

In 12 years, I've only ever seen an issue come up twice.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the UK, we have one man under the posts for the long FG attempts (we define "long" as 20yd line and beyond) and don't think it is a problem. You set up no more than 5yds behind the posts. Be ready to move quickly to the threatened post if the kick is to one side or the other.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 10:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes
Here in the UK, we have one man under the posts for the long FG attempts (we define "long" as 20yd line and beyond) and don't think it is a problem. You set up no more than 5yds behind the posts. Be ready to move quickly to the threatened post if the kick is to one side or the other.
Very well said 2Flakes! As soon as the kick goes, you can tell if an upright is threatened. If the posts are 6-7 yards wide, then at most you have to move is ~ 4 yards!
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue

A situation happened in these parts at least 20 years ago. Team from the area (K) was playing a team from out of town (R). K is attemping a game winning FG. I don't know the specifics, but it was a fairly long attempt (by HS standards). It was well wide, but only the BJ was back there and he ruled it good. In his defense I don't know if he get confused about which post he was under or (not in his defense) he just didn't move to the post being threatened), but the R coach started saying 'homer' as you would expect and that he would "never come back up here for a game. Anyway, I'm not blaming the BJ for what happened, just saying that, in theory, it sounds good to only have one official back there for long kicks, just that it may not always work out for various reasons.

As a side note, the coach did bring his team back about 10 years ago and lost late in the game by an even worse call by the officials (which I can't defend in any way). Now I am pretty sure he will never be back in the area for another game.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Until last week, we had at least one association here in NC that used only the BJ under the post for a kick, regardless of distance.

Last week, the state supervisor of officials ordered them to abandon that mechanic for the last regular season game and the playoffs, for obvious reasons.

The rest of the state uses BJ and LJ back on kicks, regardless of R's position.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Kentucky Mechanics:
LOS at or inside B15:
U and BJ under the post
LJ and L at normal wing positions
R with holder & kicker

LOS outside B15:
LJ and BJ under the post
U in normal position, cheating to LJ vacancy
HL in normal wing position
R with holder & kicker

U can protect the snapper from under the post on shorter kicks, and this leaves LJ in better position to rule on plays at the sideline/goal line if the kick goes bad or is a fake.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Up until this year, we always had BJ and U under for Tries, regardless of distance and BJ/LJ under for all FGs. This year, we have changed our mechanics to have BJ and U under for all Tries and FGs regardless of distance.

The philosophy is that (in no particular order--they are all important):
1) there should always be two officials under the posts
2) The intersection of the GL/sideline pylon is extremely important and is uncovered on broken FG plays (which happens a lot in HS).
3) We do not allow our Us to subscribe to the stereotype that they are allowed to be less in shape than the rest of the crew. If an LJ has to bust *** 35 yards to get to the posts, then the U should be able to do it too. (I know that's asking a lot but it is what it is.... )
4) On FGs, count the number of times that you've had a close call at the GL/Sideline intersection compared to the number of times that Roughing the Snapper has been called.
5) The Referee now verbally warns the defensive linemen about RTS as well as the U
6) Most FGs in HS are not that long, therefore the U should still be able to rule on egregious offenders.

Are these philosophies perfect? Of course not, but there's going to be trade-offs in coverage in a 5-man crew no matter what, and so statistically this is what our association feels is best. so far so good....
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We send one official back in 4-man only. The LJ is on the endline, wide. The R calls the uprights, the L has the kicker/holder for roughing and the U is in his normal spot.

We treat ANY placekick in 5-person one way:

R with kicker and holder facing the holder's face
U in normal U position (roughing the snapper, line play)
BJ under an upright
L/LJ under an upright with the "open wing" on the R's side
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
We treat ANY placekick in 5-person one way:

R with kicker and holder facing the holder's face
U in normal U position (roughing the snapper, line play)
BJ under an upright
L/LJ under an upright with the "open wing" on the R's side

We do it the same here. Basically, if you, as a wing, are looking at the R's behind (not a pretty sight on our crew as I am sure is the case with just about everyone on here!) you are in the wrong place--that official should be under the post with the BJ.