The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

covered ends?

hello all, I coach youth football in michigan and have some knowledge of the game however I have been confused on the subject of "covered or uncovered ends". I have used different formations with trips and motion what is the standard rule for legal receivers in trips formations I realize that 7 must be on the line but is there other rules regarding whos on and whos off to detemine whos eligible?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddisonsdad
hello all, I coach youth football in michigan and have some knowledge of the game however I have been confused on the subject of "covered or uncovered ends". I have used different formations with trips and motion what is the standard rule for legal receivers in trips formations I realize that 7 must be on the line but is there other rules regarding whos on and whos off to detemine whos eligible?
Those in the backfield with an eligible number are all eligible.

The two ends of the line, provided they are wearing an eligible number, are eligible.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

so examples:

wr t g c g t te
wr wr qb

rb
legal?

or

wr wr te t g c g t
qb

wr rb legal?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

sorry that turned out all wrong
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Glad you asked.

There must be 7 on the line, correct.

In order to be eligible a player must be in the backfield or on the end of the line and with a legal number (1-49 and 80-99) if your league follows numbering conventions -- many youth league don't.

You cannot have

WR WR T G C T G

As one of the receivers is "covered" by the other, meaning the inside wide receiver is ineligble to go out for a pass. Plus, you lose the opportunity to have the maximum of six players eligible. You could do this

WR T G C T G
WR

and this is perfectly legal.

Evidently, your officials must have called it correctly or you would not be on this forum.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
...You cannot have

WR WR T G C T G
REPLY: I know what Ed is saying here, and I'm certain that he knows what he means, but just to clarify one point. The formation itself is legal. The only restriction is that (as Ed did say) the inside WR is ineligible. That means he (a) can't go downfield, and (b) can't catch, muff, or bat a legal forward pass anywhere on the field.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Frequently in youth football uniform numbering rules are not used or enforced, and that may not be clear unless you confer with the referee! Hopefully your league should clear that up. Pop Warner rules are uniform (modified from current Fed rules), but AYF allows its affiliate circuits to adopt any rules for play among themselves. Frequently there will also be different rules at different classes of play (e.g. Mighty Mite vs. Jr. Pee-Wee, etc.).

Disregard anything about what positions your players consider themselves or play in practice sessions. Their roster listings have nothing to do with their rules positions. (Leagues may have different weight or age limits for linemen from backs, but I don't think the field officials enforce those.) Of the players legally on the line of scrimmage on offense, the one closest to either sideline is an end, period. This applies from the time the ball is snapped until the ball next becomes dead, regardless of how that player was positioned on any other down. This is true regardless of whether the formation is legal or not. If the player is an end, s/he's eligible to receive forward passes, if your circuit does not apply shirt numbering rules. If your circuit does apply such rules, then additionally the end's shirt must have a number that's an integer from 1 thru 49 or 80 thru 99 for the end to be eligible to receive forward passes. (It is possible for an otherwise ineligible player to become a legal forward pass receiver during a down, but let's not go into that now.) Backs and a "T" quarterback are eligible to receive forward passes too, with the same caveats concerning shirt numbers.

As you can see by the above, there's no such thing as a "covered end" as far as the use of the term "end" as a position in the rules. If the player you usually think of as an offensive end has another player on the line closer to the sideline, the player you were previously thinking of as an end is not an end, and the player who is closer to that sideline is the end on that side. If the ball is snapped, that's the way it counts. Your roster is immaterial.

If your game is not played with numbering rules, then 7 or more legally set on the line of scrimmage at the snap is a legal formation. If it is played with numbering rules, then 5 or more of those players on the line have to have ineligible receiver numbers (50 thru 79). (I'll leave the scrimmage kick formation exemption out of this.)

In the unlikely event that your circuit bases its formation and numbering rules on NFL's, then the ends must not have an ineligible receiver number, regardless of whether a pass is thrown, and of players on the line of scrimmage, only the ends may have eligible receiver numbers. Same with backs and quarterback in NFL rules. But they have a procedure by which prior to each play, a team can report exceptions to those numbering rules which info the officials relay to the defense.

Although for many purposes the term "wide receiver" is useful in coaching, it would help if coaches kept using the older terms "split end" and "flanker" to make clear in practice which are ends (on the line) and which backs (legally in the backfield, entirely behind the nearest line player), and to steer clear of terminology like "tight end in motion". Think in terms of the formation, not roster listings. In determining who can be in motion or receive forward passes, the officials don't care how a player is listed in your roster!

Robert
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

What everyone is trying to say is that if you come out with the following formation:

87------------50--60--70--61--51--84
-----------------------07-------------------- 86
-----------------------23------35

The ends are #87, and #84. They are eligible by number and position.

The backs, #07, #23, #35, and #86 are all eligible by number and position.

If you run something like this:

87-------84---------50--60--70--61--51--86
-----89----------------------07----------------------82

#84 would be ineligible because he is not on the end of the line. Only 87 and 86 are on the end of the line.

89, 07, and 82 would be eligible because they are backs.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dad, only the last player on the end of each side of the O-line can be eligible. Anyone inside of him, on the line, is not eligible.

And of course, he must be eligible by number, 1-49 and 80-99.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 01:46pm.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Glad you asked.

There must be 7 on the line, correct.

In order to be eligible a player must be in the backfield or on the end of the line and with a legal number (1-49 and 80-99) if your league follows numbering conventions -- many youth league don't.

You cannot have

WR WR T G C T G

As one of the receivers is "covered" by the other, meaning the inside wide receiver is ineligble to go out for a pass. Plus, you lose the opportunity to have the maximum of six players eligible. You could do this

WR T G C T G
WR

and this is perfectly legal.

Evidently, your officials must have called it correctly or you would not be on this forum.
Your bottom example is ILLEGAL. Count the players on the line of scrimmage.

Bob