The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Question

Hello all. I am the PA announcer for a JC football team, and last night we had penalty enforcement that didn't seem quite right to any of us in the box.

On a 2nd down, the defense (home team) sacked the QB, which would have made it 3rd and 17. The sacker however was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty was enforced, but the down was still 3rd, with 2 yards to go. We all thought that was an automatic 1st down, fairly certain that we have seen unsportsmanlike conducts result in automatic first down's in the past in that situation where the 15 yds wouldn't make a 1st on its own.

Game is played with NCAA rules. Was this correct? Also, is there a difference in High School NF rules? Thanks for your responses.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil19
Hello all. I am the PA announcer for a JC football team, and last night we had penalty enforcement that didn't seem quite right to any of us in the box.

On a 2nd down, the defense (home team) sacked the QB, which would have made it 3rd and 17. The sacker however was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty was enforced, but the down was still 3rd, with 2 yards to go. We all thought that was an automatic 1st down, fairly certain that we have seen unsportsmanlike conducts result in automatic first down's in the past in that situation where the 15 yds wouldn't make a 1st on its own.

Game is played with NCAA rules. Was this correct? Also, is there a difference in High School NF rules? Thanks for your responses.
UC does not carry an auto 1st down penalty in NCAA rules
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Neither does it in NF rules. You mean the officials new more than the announcers!!!
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Nor does Fed. Unsportsmanlike fouls are enforced as dead ball and from the succeeding spot.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Neither does it in NF rules. You mean the officials new more than the announcers!!!
Of course they know more than me , although judging from the complaining I heard coming out the next door window from visitor's radio, I think they thought they were more all-knowing.

Last edited by reddevil19; Sun Oct 07, 2007 at 01:32pm.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hello all. I am the PA announcer for a JC football team,
Wow, JayCees have announcers at their games in San Diego?!

Quote:
and last night
And lights?!

Quote:
and last night we had penalty enforcement that didn't seem quite right to any of us in the box.
And a press box?! With more than one person in it?!!!

Robert

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Sun Oct 07, 2007 at 01:44pm.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

Nor does UC carry an AFD is Canada. UC is called Objectionable Conduct, and is 10 yards tacked on the next play.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Wow, JayCees have announcers at their games in San Diego?!

And lights?!

And a press box?! With more than one person in it?!!!

Robert
Yeah, and some of us even care enough to try and enhance our knowledge in appropriate areas of the game, especially since the school's we work for are too cheap to buy a microphone to put on the Referee, and the fans are too stupid to just know the signals and enforcements.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, and some of us even care enough to try and enhance our knowledge in appropriate areas of the game, especially since the school's we work for are too cheap to buy a microphone to put on the Referee, and the fans are too stupid to just know the signals and enforcements.
REPLY: I, for one, applaud you for it. Too many of your colleagues--even at the 'major network' level--rely on either an antiquated (rules do change) or a woefully inadequate knowledge of the rules. And then they compound their errors by speaking as the ultimate authorities on the officials' rules knowledge and judgment.

I notice that you're fairly new to our forum. Welcome...and please don't hesitate to return if you have other questions.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Schools you work for? I understood that you were an announcer at a game of Junior Chamber of Commerce sponsored clubs/teams. Or was "JC" a typo for "JV"?

If not a typo, how old are the players? I coach youth football in New York City, and I'm impressed with the apparent interest out west that has such things as a press box, etc. at such a game. Miked officials would be really stunning! BTW, here we do have a few night games for some of our older players (teen age), but things like PA, etc. would seem really lavish to us. Some games our Pee-Wees & below don't have goal posts (not that we could kick over them anyway) , and usually the fields are chalked (if at all) only every 10 yards and frequently have cones instead of regulation pylons.

Actually even if it was a typo, I'm still somewhat impressed by a HS JV having a night game.

Robert
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

We had a varsity game a couple of weeks ago at a small school. The PA announcer got every signal right (including the difference between illegal motion and illegal shift and he even got a spearing call right). He gave the usual sportsmanship speech at the beginning - but also did it two or three times during the game. He introduced the officials three or four times, including once in the fourth quarter when he said "and haven't they done a great job tonight." During an injury timeout, he introduced us all, then read a 30 second public service announcement from the state about how people can get involved in officiating.

Obviously, I wrote him up to the state office, as well as the school. Which had someone to meet us and take care of us the whole night - right up to the time we got into our car at the end of the game.

Gee, sometimes this can be fun!
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
We had a varsity game a couple of weeks ago at a small school. The PA announcer got every signal right (including the difference between illegal motion and illegal shift and he even got a spearing call right). He gave the usual sportsmanship speech at the beginning - but also did it two or three times during the game. He introduced the officials three or four times, including once in the fourth quarter when he said "and haven't they done a great job tonight." During an injury timeout, he introduced us all, then read a 30 second public service announcement from the state about how people can get involved in officiating.

Obviously, I wrote him up to the state office, as well as the school. Which had someone to meet us and take care of us the whole night - right up to the time we got into our car at the end of the game.

Gee, sometimes this can be fun!
Is this what I picture Heaven to be like?
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

JC = junior college

Quote:
Schools you work for? I understood that you were an announcer at a game of Junior Chamber of Commerce sponsored clubs/teams. Or was "JC" a typo for "JV"?

If not a typo, how old are the players? I coach youth football in New York City, and I'm impressed with the apparent interest out west that has such things as a press box, etc. at such a game. Miked officials would be really stunning! BTW, here we do have a few night games for some of our older players (teen age), but things like PA, etc. would seem really lavish to us. Some games our Pee-Wees & below don't have goal posts (not that we could kick over them anyway) , and usually the fields are chalked (if at all) only every 10 yards and frequently have cones instead of regulation pylons.

Actually even if it was a typo, I'm still somewhat impressed by a HS JV having a night game.

Robert
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Robert
JC = Junior College. I did start out doing PA for HS JV games 13 years ago as a sophomore in high school after the regular guy got ejected one day.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JC = Junior College. I did start out doing PA for HS JV games 13 years ago as a sophomore in high school after the regular guy got ejected one day.
REPLY: The PA guy got ejected!!! That must be a story in itself.