The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Another IW

NF This has not happened to me (yet), but with an inexperienced crew this year, I am preparing for the worst.

2nd and 10 from B's 40. Pass is complete to A88 at B's 20. QB is roughed and flag is dropped. After the catch, A88 fumbles and B15 recovers and begins his run. At this point, an IW is blown. What next?

Can the roughing be enforced? Can B keep the ball?
TIA
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to U52
Iw

Yes, my understanding is that the penalty takes priority over the IW. (4-3-1-c.)
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

The penalty trumps the IW. Since there was a COP, the RTP will be enforced from the PS and it will be A's ball. Good luck if you are the wing on B's sideline.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
The penalty trumps the IW. Since there was a COP, the RTP will be enforced from the PS and it will be A's ball. Good luck if you are the wing on B's sideline.
Actually, the RTP foul will be inforced from the end of the run. That's why a bag needs to be dropped when A88 fumbled. 1st and 10 for A at B's 10 yard line.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton
Actually, the RTP foul will be inforced from the end of the run. That's why a bag needs to be dropped when A88 fumbled. 1st and 10 for A at B's 10 yard line.
No it won't cuz there was a COP on the play. B recovered A's fumble and then we had the IW. See 10-5-5.

You are correct however, we should have a bag at the spot of the fumble, although in this case it is not a spot of enforcement.

Last edited by MJT; Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 11:23am.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
The penalty trumps the IW. Since there was a COP, the RTP will be enforced from the PS and it will be A's ball.
What if the pass had a lot of zip on it and was complete before the passer was roughed? Is it still RTP, or could you "find" another personal foul that the same contact constituted that would go from the end of A88's run?

Robert
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. Thanks for the reference.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
What if the pass had a lot of zip on it and was complete before the passer was roughed? Is it still RTP, or could you "find" another personal foul that the same contact constituted that would go from the end of A88's run?

Robert
There is no other LB penalty that tacks on the way RTP does. I am going with RTP and not PF unless it was VERY obvious the pass was caught and the hit was way after that. By rule, he is no longer a passer after the pass is complete and I'm sure that is what you were getting at.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 01:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51
2nd and 10 from B's 40. Pass is complete to A88 at B's 20. QB is roughed and flag is dropped. After the catch, A88 fumbles and B15 recovers and begins his run. At this point, an IW is blown. What next?

Can the roughing be enforced? Can B keep the ball?
CANADIAN RULING:

The IW kills the play. Team A can:
  1. give B the ball, but 15 yards back from where the ball carrier was when the IW went
  2. take 15 yards from the PLS + AFD and retain possession
2 is most likely.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Why is this a problem for the wing on B's sideline? B fouled. Who cares about the IW... if you don't have an IW, and B scores on the play, the whole thing's coming back anyway. B fouled. That foul is going to be enforced and A's going to keep the ball - the IW has nothing to do with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you IW, PRAY for an accepted foul that occured before your IW - if that happens, you have been saved.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Why is this a problem for the wing on B's sideline? B fouled. Who cares about the IW... if you don't have an IW, and B scores on the play, the whole thing's coming back anyway. B fouled. That foul is going to be enforced and A's going to keep the ball - the IW has nothing to do with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you IW, PRAY for an accepted foul that occured before your IW - if that happens, you have been saved.
Ya, I forgot about B's foul. Brain cramp!