The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Conduct Vs. Personal Foul

Hello,

Just discovered this forum and I'm very impressed with the discussion that takes place here.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I couldn't find any current threads regarding this topic.

Situation:

After the play is over, A1 shoves B1 and B1 shoves A1. This is not ruled fighting.

I've worked with several different white hats over the past few years and some call it UC and others call it a Personal Foul. I've started wearing the white hat this year so I want to call it the right way, if there is one.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
If you call in offsetting personal fouls, you don't have to worry about a player being disqualified because of excessive unsportsman like conduct fouls. The net result will be the same regardless of what label you put on the play...the fouls offset and go to the next down.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH
Hello,

Just discovered this forum and I'm very impressed with the discussion that takes place here.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I couldn't find any current threads regarding this topic.

Situation:

After the play is over, A1 shoves B1 and B1 shoves A1. This is not ruled fighting.

I've worked with several different white hats over the past few years and some call it UC and others call it a Personal Foul. I've started wearing the white hat this year so I want to call it the right way, if there is one.
NCAA this has to be personal foul, not UC UC does not involve contact
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle
If you call in offsetting personal fouls, you don't have to worry about a player being disqualified because of excessive unsportsman like conduct fouls. The net result will be the same regardless of what label you put on the play...the fouls offset and go to the next down.
For NFHS, the fouls do not necessarily offset. If taken literally, the fouls must be enforced in the order of occurence. Inside the 30-yard-line is specifically where order of occurrence with Personal Fouls is important.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

The actions you describe are absolutely personal fouls and not unsportsmanlike conduct. Pushing, hitting and fighting are examples of personal fouls while taunting and using inappropriate words are examples of unsportsmanlike conduct.