The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

would you say anything

freshman level game 40-0 in the 2nd qtr. Team is still throwing deep, double reverse pass, ect. my question is this; do you say anythis to the coach?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP
freshman level game 40-0 in the 2nd qtr. Team is still throwing deep, double reverse pass, ect. my question is this; do you say anythis to the coach?
No. His time will come. I know that some other team will stick it to him. If I am calling the game, I would start calling every tick tack holds, ect.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

What if he is paying back an old score ? What if the team getting beat has done this very thing to the team that is winning, is it OK then?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATUMP
Well of course we do. We say, "Coach, your guard was downfield illegally", or "Coach, your wide receiver on the off side was holding."

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenref1
No. His time will come. I know that some other team will stick it to him. If I am calling the game, I would start calling every tick tack holds, ect.
You want to lengthen such a game?
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 12:55am
Archaic Power Monger

No, keep quiet and let it go. You don't have to like it but it's not illegal. During the JV game I was working tonight, the home team was leading 43-0 in the 4th quarter and was still throwing long bombs. I didn't like it but...well that's football I guess.

Last edited by Welpe; Sat Sep 15, 2007 at 01:24am.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

I've been through this situation twice last weekend. I really hate it and think is lack of sportsmanship, besides being just plain stupid to risc your players health on that kind of crap. But calling every tick tack penalties seems like a bad idea, since the coach will not stop playing for the score and it's going to lengthen the game wildly.
I've thought about suddently being blind to whatever unnecessary roughness the losing team might be using but it just didn't feel right.
So I decided to keep doing my job but, inside, I'm hoping for someone important ofor the winning team to be lost for the season. And I know that's a terrible thing to wish for but I just can't help it.
Remembering that I officiate adults games. No kids...
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 01:26am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
I've thought about suddently being blind to whatever unnecessary roughness the losing team might be using but it just didn't feel right.
The problem with that approach is that tempers are already flaring during a blow out, and if you let late hits and other personal fouls go, the game can quickly descend into chaos. Make sure the foul is really there but you still need to call them IMO.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Well of course we do. We say, "Coach, your guard was downfield illegally", or "Coach, your wide receiver on the off side was holding."
That is crap. Are you sure you are from Texas ??? First you dismiss preventive officiating and now you endorse over officiaiting.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 05:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Nothing changes: call the obvious housekeeping fouls, call the pertinent tactical fouls, and call all safety fouls. If anything, shorten the game if the league or teams permit. But do not confuse the athletes about what is and is not a foul.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 08:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
That is crap. Are you sure you are from Texas ??? First you dismiss preventive officiating and now you endorse over officiaiting.
What, are Texas officials superior in some way?
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I tend to think so!!

You don't do anything in this situation. Depending on the level, I'll probably let a few false starts or offsides (on the other team) go, mostly for times sake, but we always get all the felonies and damn sure all the safety calls regardless of score.
Old Sat Sep 15, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
What, are Texas officials superior in some way?
Talk to the supervisors in most any major conference and ask them. For those who have taken advantage, the training opportunities each year are superior to what is available in other places. There are plenty who have not availed themseleves of this and they might be decent officials but the guys who have taken this seriously generally are ready for the next level moreson that in other places.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 01:57am
Never Stop Learning

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Talk to the supervisors in most any major conference and ask them. For those who have taken advantage, the training opportunities each year are superior to what is available in other places. There are plenty who have not availed themseleves of this and they might be decent officials but the guys who have taken this seriously generally are ready for the next level moreson that in other places.
You guys sure those hats are still going to fit on your heads after those comments?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

It's not our job to control the score. It is my opinion that we should be blind to the score and officiate the game the same as we have in the beginning. Make the calls be "BIG" in the first quarter and do the same in the 4th qtr. of a blowout. I've had games where one team needed to outscore their opponents by 40+ points in order to make the playoffs due to a point score tiebreaker procedure they have. I'm not going to prevent that by trying to be nit picky on fouls.