The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Safety on a try (https://forum.officiating.com/football/36389-safety-try.html)

Dist8Ref Mon Jul 09, 2007 01:15pm

Safety on a try

Question:
How does Team A score a safety on a try? If any of you have any experience with such scenario, please give details.

The Roamin' Umpire Mon Jul 09, 2007 02:49pm

I have not seen this occur, but Team A can score a safety (1 point!) on a try in the following manner:

[NFHS rules]
Try @ B3. A runs a sweep, but is hit and fumbles near the goal line. The ball is rolling away from the goal line when a B player, diving to get the ball, muffs it back, and it hits the pylon. (Or goes into the EZ and is recovered by B, or goes into and out of the EZ, etc.)

On a normal play, this is a safety - B has forced the ball into his own endzone and it is dead there. On a try, it's STILL a safety, but A only scores 1 point, and A is still kicking off next.*

Under NCAA rules, the muff isn't a new force - it would have to be a bat. I just didn't want to introduce a foul into the play.

* - Yes, I know B could theoretically decide to kickoff. No need to confuse the issue. :P

Bob M. Mon Jul 09, 2007 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dist8Ref
Question:
How does Team A score a safety on a try? If any of you have any experience with such scenario, please give details.

REPLY: It all revolves aroound an understanding of "force." PLAY: Team A attempts a sweep on the try. A11 fumbles at B's 4. The ball is at rest at B's 3 when B22 muffs it and it rebounds into B's endzone. There, it is recovered by a prone B33. RULING: Since the force which put the ball into B's endzone was B22's muff, the result of the play is a safety. Award A 1 point.

MJT Mon Jul 09, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
I have not seen this occur, but Team A can score a safety (1 point!) on a try in the following manner:

[NFHS rules]
Try @ B3. A runs a sweep, but is hit and fumbles near the goal line. The ball is rolling away from the goal line when a B player, diving to get the ball, muffs it back, and it hits the pylon. (Or goes into the EZ and is recovered by B, or goes into and out of the EZ, etc.)

On a normal play, this is a safety - B has forced the ball into his own endzone and it is dead there. On a try, it's STILL a safety, but A only scores 1 point, and A is still kicking off next.*

Under NCAA rules, the muff isn't a new force - it would have to be a bat. I just didn't want to introduce a foul into the play.

* - Yes, I know B could theoretically decide to kickoff. No need to confuse the issue. :P

I think you can still have the same without a bat in NCAA, but don't have my books with me. I think in a bowl game 2-3 years ago that "Blue" worked, they had it happen. Blue and his crew nailed it and Blue explained it on the field mic for all to understand. Do some of you remember that?

Bob M. Mon Jul 09, 2007 03:31pm

Quote:

...Under NCAA rules, the muff isn't a new force - it would have to be a bat. I just didn't want to introduce a foul into the play.

REPLY: In NCAA rules, a muff can create a new impetus (force) if the ball is at rest.

Tom.OH Mon Jul 09, 2007 07:47pm

Anyone ever seen this happen in a game?

MJT Mon Jul 09, 2007 09:21pm

Bob, wasn't there a bowl game a few years back where it happened and Castleberry was the R? I recall discussion on this board, or maybe McGriff's about it.

MJT Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29pm

Did some Googling and found it.
Friday, November 26, 2004 Texas vs Texas A&M
Cooper Castleberry was the R. Here is the game report. http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/p...004/GAME11.HTM
Here is a blog about it. http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2...that_long.html

Here is an little on how it happened.
Texas holder Matt Nordgren dropped the snap, Dusty Mangum kicked the ball into the line and it rolled away just shy of the goal line. In the ensuing scramble for the football, officials ruled that A&M had gained possession of the ball then fumbled it into the end zone.

A&M safety Jaxson Appel recovered the fumble just before several Texas defenders pounced on him.

Game officials conferred for about a minute before ruling that the Longhorns would get a point for downing Appel in the end zone. The mostly orange-clad crowd of 83,891 exploded into cheers once the scoreboard recorded the point, tying the game at 13-all.

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40pm

Interesting rule. So it is possible to have a score of 1-0 in game. :)

I thought that was only possible in Canada, with our Rouge.

Did you know that in the CFL, it is possible for B to intercept (or recover a fumble) an A convert attempt and run it back for a 2-point touchdown?

JasonTX Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Interesting rule. So it is possible to have a score of 1-0 in game. :)

I thought that was only possible in Canada, with our Rouge.

Did you know that in the CFL, it is possible for B to intercept (or recover a fumble) an A convert attempt and run it back for a 2-point touchdown?

Not 1 - 0 but it could be 1-6. The 1 point safety would occur on the try after the team scores a 6 pt TD.

JugglingReferee Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX
Not 1 - 0 but it could be 1-6. The 1 point safety would occur on the try after the team scores a 6 pt TD.

Doh! Stoopid me.

Warrenkicker Tue Jul 10, 2007 08:22am

No team can only have scored 1 point. The only way in NF for a team to score 1 point is on a try and the defense can not score. In the play in question the touchdown-scoring team tackled the other team for a safety. So the score went from 6-13 to 12-13 to 13-13.

That is except for a forfeit, official score is 1-0 unless the game was started and the team that forfeited was trailing at the time, then the score stands.

The only problem on the Texas/TAM play was that it was an illegal kick and Texas should not been allowed to score due to the foul.

Texas Aggie Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:19am

Quote:

Actually, this would be more unusual than the A&M/Tex play since it would require a safety in the OTHER end zone -- 97+ yards away. It would take quite an imagination to figure out how, other than intentionally, the offense would find themselves in their own end zone.

If the 1 point safety is going to occur, it will almost certainly do so as in the A&M game.

Sooner75 Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:42am

Quote:

[NFHS rules]

May I have a rule reference or case book reference on this particuliar play please? Thank you.

JasonTX Tue Jul 10, 2007 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Actually, this would be more unusual than the A&M/Tex play since it would require a safety in the OTHER end zone -- 97+ yards away. It would take quite an imagination to figure out how, other than intentionally, the offense would find themselves in their own end zone.

If the 1 point safety is going to occur, it will almost certainly do so as in the A&M game.

NCAA:
Team A scores a TD and is lined up for the Try. The kick is blocked and recovered and advanced by Team B 90 yards where a Team A player strips the ball and recovers the ball on the bounce. He then tries to avoid the B player and runs into his own end zone where he is tackled. Ruling: 1 pt. Safety for B. :D