The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Cool

This question came up tonight at our meeting, the k team attempted a field goal from their 45 yard line. The ball falls short and goes out of bound at R's four yard line,' Where does the R' team gets ball? at the spot where the ball went out of bound, or is the ball put in play at the 20 yard line.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

This is a scrimmage kick, thus it will be R's ball at the four yard line. Many people get this confused because once again they watch to much tv and do not realize the rule difference between fed, ncaa and nfl.

The important thing here is to make sure your crew treats it as a scrimmage kick and does not blow the play dead to soon. I watched a game once and the crew blew it dead when it became apparent when the kick was no good. As a result they had an inadvertent whistle and K was allowed to replay the down. Next kick was good. WOW!! did the coach of R go nuts.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

NCAA

In NCAA the ball would have been taken back to where snapped (the 45??). They were trying a 62 yard field goal?!?!?!!?!? Must have a heck of a kicker.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Are you guys talking about the high school rule?
If you are, are you saying that a FG attempt is treated just like a punt?
If so, could a team with a kicker that has a strong leg attempt an 80 yd. FG, and aim for the corner inside the
10 yard line?
Thanks
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7Rock
If so, could a team with a kicker that has a strong leg attempt an 80 yd. FG, and aim for the corner inside the
10 yard line?
Thanks
In Nat Fed governed high school ball (all but Massachusetts and Texas), a field goal attempt and a punt are both governed by the same rules -- the scrimmage kick. So, yes, a team could "attempt and 80-yard field goal" with the same results as if they had punted the ball.

Remember, a field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick with an opportunity to score. It is governed by the same rules as a punt (both are scrimmage kicks). The only difference is HOW they may kick it. It must be a place kick or drop kick, not a punt in order for a team to score 3 points. Everything else is the same as if it were a punt.

Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool field goal / dead ball

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by 7Rock
10 yard line?
Thanks
In Nat Fed governed high school ball (all but Massachusetts and Texas), a field goal attempt and a punt are both governed by the same rules -- the scrimmage kick. So, yes, a team could "attempt and 80-yard field goal" with the same results as if they had punted the ball.

Remember, a field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick with an opportunity to score. It is governed by the same rules as a punt (both are scrimmage kicks). The only difference is HOW they may kick it. It must be a place kick or drop kick, not a punt in order for a team to score 3 points. Everything else is the same as if it were a punt.

This is NF, it happened in a game Friday night. But, because I'm the junior with only two years experience, and I was the LJ. I told the Referee It was R ball 1/10 at the four yard line. But since everyone on the crew had years of experiences, I remained silent, the ball was put in play at the 15 yard line.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Not good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry
This is NF, it happened in a game Friday night. But, because I'm the junior with only two years experience, and I was the LJ. I told the Referee It was R ball 1/10 at the four yard line. But since everyone on the crew had years of experiences, I remained silent, the ball was put in play at the 15 yard line.
That's a bad one to miss.

Just remember, that a FGA that doesn't score is simply a punt.