View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 08, 2002, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool field goal / dead ball

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by 7Rock
Are you guys talking about the high school rule?
If you are, are you saying that a FG attempt is treated just like a punt?
If so, could a team with a kicker that has a strong leg attempt an 80 yd. FG, and aim for the corner inside the
10 yard line?
Thanks
In Nat Fed governed high school ball (all but Massachusetts and Texas), a field goal attempt and a punt are both governed by the same rules -- the scrimmage kick. So, yes, a team could "attempt and 80-yard field goal" with the same results as if they had punted the ball.

Remember, a field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick with an opportunity to score. It is governed by the same rules as a punt (both are scrimmage kicks). The only difference is HOW they may kick it. It must be a place kick or drop kick, not a punt in order for a team to score 3 points. Everything else is the same as if it were a punt.

This is NF, it happened in a game Friday night. But, because I'm the junior with only two years experience, and I was the LJ. I told the Referee It was R ball 1/10 at the four yard line. But since everyone on the crew had years of experiences, I remained silent, the ball was put in play at the 15 yard line.