The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Need help from the pros - Can the winner of the (https://forum.officiating.com/football/32135-need-help-pros-can-winner.html)

kidclutch Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13am

Need help from the pros - Can the winner of the

coin toss defer to the 2nd half in the NFL ??? thanks

grantsrc Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:40am

I don't think "defer" is an option in the NFL.

MJT Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41am

It is not an option in the NFL.

kidclutch Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:45am

Thanks, didn't think so but I wanted to get confirmation before I confront the loud mouths who insisted you could.

fbwhitehat Sat Feb 24, 2007 08:17pm

Semi-pro R

The Coin Toss Winner Has Two Choices ; Receive Or Defend A Goal. There Is No Deferral Option.

HossHumard Mon Feb 26, 2007 01:52pm

The third coin toss option of defering choice the the 2nd half does occur up here in the Great White North....think it's a metric thing....

Raymond Mon Feb 26, 2007 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbwhitehat
The Coin Toss Winner Has Two Choices ; Receive Or Defend A Goal. There Is No Deferral Option.

They have 3 choices: receive; kick, defend a goal.

RoyGardner Mon Feb 26, 2007 03:29pm

From NFL.com - Digest of Rules :

Coin Toss

1. The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:

(a) Receive or kick

(b) Goal his team will defend

2. Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

Forksref Mon Feb 26, 2007 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossHumard
The third coin toss option of defering choice the the 2nd half does occur up here in the Great White North....think it's a metric thing....

It's not really metric. They still have yards, but MORE of them! They can only count to 3 (for downs) but up to 12 (for players) and motion toward the LOS is allowed. They like FB but had to make a point that it would be different from U.S. FB.

bluezebra Tue Feb 27, 2007 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidclutch
Thanks, didn't think so but I wanted to get confirmation before I confront the loud mouths who insisted you could.

Apparently, the "loudmouths" don't pay attention to the coin toss options the referee gives.

bob

golfnref Tue Feb 27, 2007 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
They have 3 choices: receive; kick, defend a goal.

Kick or receive is one choice.

Raymond Wed Feb 28, 2007 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref
Kick or receive is one choice.

I was referring to fbwhitehat's post that a team can only choose to receive or choose a goal.

They can also choose to kick. Choosing a goal does not automatically equate to kicking the ball.

golfnref Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I was referring to fbwhitehat's post that a team can only choose to receive or choose a goal.

They can also choose to kick. Choosing a goal does not automatically equate to kicking the ball.

I am replying to your post which stated there were three options. There are only two options:
1. Kick or receive
2. Defend a goal

bluezebra Wed Feb 28, 2007 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfnref
I am replying to your post which stated there were three options. There are only two options:
1. Kick or receive
2. Defend a goal

THREE options. Kick, Receive, or Defend a Goal.

Bob

golfnref Wed Feb 28, 2007 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
THREE options. Kick, Receive, or Defend a Goal.

Bob

Look at Roy Gardner's post on Feb. 26. He quoted the NFL rule.

Specifically, it is in Rule 4, Section 2, Article 1. Toss of Coin

The last sentence of the rule states: The winner of the toss must choose one of two privileges and the loser is given the other. The two privileges are:

(a) which team is to receive; or

(b) the goal his team will defend.