The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This week team A in scrimmage kick formation. Ball snapped to A33 goes over his head. A33 reaches for ball and tips it just enough to slow it down. He then turns around with his back to the LOS, runs about 5 yards and picks up the ball.

Having retrieved the ball he turns as if to run. B73 targeting A33 for a tackle goes to tackle A33 just as he stops and kicks the ball for a good 30 yard punt with B73 strecthed across his body. Just as the punt gets off they both hit the ground.

Team A coach is livid. "That should have been roughing the kicker, the rules interpreter said any time you touch the kicker it is either running into or roughing," he shouts.

Response, your kicker was acting as a runner and was eligible to be tackled.

Later on looking at the rulebook and casebook that is covered by NFHS 9-4-4 and casebook situation 9.4.4 Situation B.

Comments?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2001, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

I personally think that calling roughing or running into the kicker is pretty easy to call. In all cases, you must ask yourself, "Was the contact avoidable?" If it was avodable, then we have a flag. It's no different in the play you describe.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

A33 lost control of the ball, ran to pick it up and made as if to run. At that point he is a runner until he re-establishes himself as a kicker. If he kicks while running, he has no protection.

Bob
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Bob. If the contact is avoidable, then it's either roughing or running into the kicker. If R1 has started his charge and is unable to pull up, then there's no penalty. To say that he isn't entitled to any protection is incorrect.

9.4.4 SITUATION B: K1 in scrimmage-kick formation, muffs the snap, but quickly recovers and begins to run. However, K1 changes his mind and: (a) punts on the run; or (b) abruptly stops and punts. R1 is unable to stop his charge and forcibly contacts K1. R1 did not touch the kick.

Ruling: No foul in either (a) or (b) because it was not reasonably certain K1 was going to punt the ball.

Comment: It is always roughing the kicker if the contact could have been avoided regardless of whether or not it was apparent a kick would be made. Only unavoidable contact is ignored if it is not reasonably certain a kick will be made.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question What is Unavoidable Contact

Tony,

Please define UNAVOIDABLE CONTACT.

If the defensive player knowingly plows into kicker after he has kicked the ball, that would probably fall under that term. However, if the defender is making a legit attempt to make a solid defensive play,( i.e tackle the runner who suddendly kicks the ball) he should not be penalized.

Since there is no definitive definition given for UNAVOIDABLE CONTACT, this is now a very subjetive call and you have to see it each time to determine whether or not it is a foul. There is no clear cut answer that can be given
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ed,

I think you got it right. BktBallRef's reference 9.4.4 is the basis.

Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What is Unavoidable Contact

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Tony,

Please define UNAVOIDABLE CONTACT.

If the defensive player knowingly plows into kicker after he has kicked the ball, that would probably fall under that term. However, if the defender is making a legit attempt to make a solid defensive play,( i.e tackle the runner who suddendly kicks the ball) he should not be penalized.

Since there is no definitive definition given for UNAVOIDABLE CONTACT, this is now a very subjetive call and you have to see it each time to determine whether or not it is a foul. There is no clear cut answer that can be given
I simply responding to the statement, "If he kicks while running, he has no protection." That's false. If the defender takes 2 or 3 steps and plows into the kicker after the ball is kicked, I consider that avoidable. Determining whether contact is unavoidalbe or not is always a subjective call.