The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Height and mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/football/30008-height-mechanics.html)

Shorty Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:45pm

Height and mechanics

I'm kind of short (1m65)....what positions are best for me? Have tried most except for umpire, and I especially found referee challenging because of my height. Had problems seeing what was going on at the line of scrimmage. And signalling end of period....forget about it, couldn't get my hands around the ball.

Any tips for how I can best compensate for my lack of centimeters? Or what positions I should stick to (we use 4- or 5-man crews)?

Rick KY Thu Dec 07, 2006 05:01pm

Your height, at about 5'5", would probably be a disadvantage at Umpire, but would not be so at R, on the wings or at BJ. If you are mechanically sound and physically able to run and move well, the only obstacle you may have to overcome is the perception of others.

ljudge Thu Dec 07, 2006 05:40pm

I met a SJ in a scrimmage who is about 5'6ish and he worked a bowl game last year so clearly working deep won't hurt you.

Shorty Thu Dec 07, 2006 06:57pm

For the most part I am a linejudge or linesman, since I normally do 4-judge crews, and there I feel I have no problems. But at the same time these are considered the easiest positions on the field, and I feel that other referees look down upon because I tend to prefer these positions....irritating!

Another obstacle is that I'm female, while all the other referees where I live are male. This has resulted in that it is perfectly acceptable for players to yell "c*nt" at all times....have tried to tell my fellow referees that I feel that is offensice and not acceptable, but they can't appreciate that:mad: Would any of you accept that?!?

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 07, 2006 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty
I'm kind of short (1m65)....what positions are best for me? Have tried most except for umpire, and I especially found referee challenging because of my height. Had problems seeing what was going on at the line of scrimmage. And signalling end of period....forget about it, couldn't get my hands around the ball.

Any tips for how I can best compensate for my lack of centimeters? Or what positions I should stick to (we use 4- or 5-man crews)?

Chuck? That you?

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 07, 2006 07:33pm

Quote:

Another obstacle is that I'm female

Guess it's not Chuck.

Quote:

, while all the other referees where I live are male. This has resulted in that it is perfectly acceptable for players to yell "c*nt"

Automatic ejection. Kill the clock, throw the flag if you want. Write a game report yourself and send it in to your assignor or booking agent. Demand that it be sent to the league and to the state.

Quote:

at all times....have tried to tell my fellow referees that I feel that is offensice and not acceptable, but they can't appreciate that:mad: Would any of you accept that?!?

They need to grow up and help take care of bizness.

Shorty Thu Dec 07, 2006 08:32pm

Not Chuck...

The problem is that where I am from (in Europe, don't want to be more specific) the c-word is used as a profanity or a swear word (95% of those who use it are men, the rest lesbians) that you yell out if you drop a pass, miss a block, fail to get a first down etc. This of course doesn't make it acceptable, but it makes me feel obligated to warn players in advance, since they are used to this being OK. And warnings aren't worth much if the rest of the crew don't follow up.

But I actually have "won a couple of guys over", more or less anyway. Hopefully it will get better, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe I'll go on a strike?

Rick KY Fri Dec 08, 2006 07:58am

I worked on a crew with a female referee for three seasons. I am sure those views on female officials existed then, but they were not evident, and certainly no profanity on the field directly at her gender. Unfortunately there are those people who cannot accept certain roles for some people.

The woman I worked with no longer works on the field. She did work 25 years, and was assigned one state final. She was a good official, and coincidentally, about your height. I know early in her career she worked both wings before putting on the white hat. Send me a private email to [email protected] and I'll see if I can contact her and share your email address. It may help for you to talk to another woman in your shoes.

Stripe Fri Dec 08, 2006 09:44am

I agree with JugglingReferee. Never, EVER permit that. Flag it immediately, 15 USC. And yes, follow up with the reports to the State and don't stop until they resolve the matter.

ABoselli Fri Dec 08, 2006 06:19pm

Eu

I thought they yelled "bollocks!" in Europe.

jjrye22 Mon Dec 11, 2006 06:00am

Quote:

For the most part I am a linejudge or linesman, since I normally do 4-judge crews, and there I feel I have no problems. But at the same time these are considered the easiest positions on the field, and I feel that other referees look down upon because I tend to prefer these positions....irritating!

Another obstacle is that I'm female, while all the other referees where I live are male. This has resulted in that it is perfectly acceptable for players to yell "c*nt" at all times....have tried to tell my fellow referees that I feel that is offensice and not acceptable, but they can't appreciate that:mad: Would any of you accept that?!?

Definately different views around Europe. I'm in Berlin, and LM is considered the least desirable job. Most running, presure about spots and from the sideline, and having to deal with the horrible chain crews!
We have a lot of female officials. None ref as U, but all other positions. I find a really short R can be a problem for signals and communication, but go where you are comfortable (I NEVER ref deep, just not comfortable there!)

As for swearing - You will have to find your own solution. I would try to evaluate if it was directed at me or a general commant. I am fairly quick with a flag and ejection for something like that though...

Hope things are better for you, and if you want to pick up a game when travelling in Germany, write me [email protected].

James

Soonerump Mon Dec 11, 2006 06:04pm

It should not matter what country you are from or where you officiate at, any use of obscene language directed at an official is an automatic flag adn 15 yards for USC. Make sure you document everything when you administer the penalty so that you will have that data when you are turning it in to your state association.

I am truly sorry that you have to put up with this kind of behavior, I would never allow anyone that I work with to be put through this kind of ordeal. Just hearing about this upsets me.

Best of luck to you.

waltjp Mon Dec 11, 2006 08:43pm

I'm a third year umpire on my 5-man crew. The previous umpire stood about 5'6" tall. The referee on the crew only beats that mark by about an inch or 2. I'm 6'1" tall and I have trouble finding my referee at times. I have no idea how the previous umpire and referee communicated. When the linemen down in a 3-point stance they'd still have trouble seeing over them!

Bob M. Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:30am

REPLY: Walt...Saying that your prior U was 5'6" is probably being generous!

waltjp Tue Dec 12, 2006 02:14pm

I was trying to be kind! :D