The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

wow there they are for all to see

San Diego at Buffalo and there they are for all the world to see....Officials wearing black pants with white stripes....my Fiance says they look like jogging pants...LOL....
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Are you serious? Black pants? Cannot be colder than the Vikings/Bears game and they are in white knickers. I have to see that on the highlights.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

NFL sponsor $$$$$
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Black pants, wide white stripe......

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Are you serious? Black pants? Cannot be colder than the Vikings/Bears game and they are in white knickers. I have to see that on the highlights.
I noticed that too (the Vikings/Bears refs are in white knickers); wonder what the rationale is for wearing black vs white? Certainly appeared to be worse weather in Chicago - the officials were wearing the hoodies under their caps.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 05:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I was at a banquet this past week where this was discussed by a NFL official. Reebox is a big sponsor for the NFL and wanted to design a uniform for the officials as well. This is really Reebox's idea all the way with the blessing of the NFL. If you did not notice the suits that some of the NFL Coaches were wearing were made by Reebox as well. There are also some pants that Reebox has provided that is white with a black stripe. From what this NFL Official told us was that use of these uniforms are based on the temperature of the game. I know that already there were some modifications to these black pants being worn, but basically it is based on how cold it is.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

According to Weather.com the weather in Buffalo was 31 with the wind chill at 21, while in Chicago it was 19 with a wind chill of 5.

Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

I wasnt a big fan of the new shirts at first, but they are growing on me. Still not a big fan of the sleeves though. But these pants, there's no way that's going to grow on me. I personally think its very tacky, and the officials blend in to much with everything else.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

The shirts have grown on me. I can see why the pants might offer more wind protection and more layering possibilities than conventional knickers. I wonder why they didn't go with white pants?

Anyway, I don't think it's that bad. I've been in games where I wish I had a longer pant that was windproof.

Eric
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:14pm
In Memoriam

They look like the long hockey pants that the players wore in the NHL in the late 70's and early 80's.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

There they are again on the Sunday nt game. One thing they may do have a filter down effect saying, the officials should be able to be warm in order to call a great game. Remember, the players get to go to the sidelines when not in the game, put on heavy coats, sit on heated benches, and have big heater blowers to warm up next to. The officials only get to go in at half time and don't run as much as the players to keep warm.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

The pants looked to have the same pockets that knickers would have and they have their normal black belts on but at one point the line judge tried to flag for false start and instead out came one bean bag, then the other, then finally the flag.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
There they are again on the Sunday nt game. One thing they may do have a filter down effect saying, the officials should be able to be warm in order to call a great game. Remember, the players get to go to the sidelines when not in the game, put on heavy coats, sit on heated benches, and have big heater blowers to warm up next to. The officials only get to go in at half time and don't run as much as the players to keep warm.
Just got my first look at the new pants on the Sunday night game. I wasn't able to catch much action this afternoon except for the Bears game. Like everyone else, I thought for sure I would see them in this game. I think they look terrible!!!! The shirts are "ok" now, but I don't ever see myself liking these pants. Stick with the white kickers.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The new shirts and new pants look sharp!

The option to wear the pants might be a CC decision. Ed H always leads the NFL R's in the right direction...

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 09:58pm.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I like them. I didn't like the shirts at first, but I like them now. I bet as time passes, these will grow on those that don't like them too.