The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

PI and faceguarding

during our game saturday night, we were flagged for faceguarding. i am one of the few little league coaches that reads the rule books and actually knows what this call is, but the officials reason for throwing the flag has me perplexed.

in his explanation he says that the DB never turned his head to find the ball. which i understand to a point. but my DB was 5 yds from the WR when the ball touched his hands and was basically in chase mode once he got beat on the pass route. so i am not sure that this penalty should have been thrown. it hurt us a little, in that the pass was incomplete, but they got the PI yds and a first down from it and proceded to score on the next play. without the penalty it would have been a 4th and long situation.

i asked how the db could have faceguarded the wr being 5 yds away, and all the ref would say is that he did not turn his head to find the ball and make a play on it. i didnt argue, but did talk to the head official (who is a good friend) and asked him. being as he didnt see the play he couldnt give me a better explanation of the call.

i just want to make sure that my interpretation of the rule is correct. in faceguarding you deliberately attempt to block the Rec's field of vision with no intent of making a play on the ball. in that i mean, i put my hands up in front of your face to distract your vision of the ball, without turning my head to find the ball and make a play on it. am i correct in this thinking?