The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

New RTK Rule

NCAA Rules: Learned this from a coach last night.

Player coming in to block kick right up the middle, and has it blocked dead, but spreads his arms in the air and somehow manages to miss the block, landing on the semi-airborne defenseless punter, cleaning his clock. I flag the most obvious and textbook RTK I've seen.

Coach screams out, "You can't call that! It's not a penalty if he's GOING FOR THE BLOCK."

Ugh.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:19am

Along the line of stupidity here's a pretty good one from a crew member. He had a JH game where a coach came about 5 yards out onto the field and was yelling about wanting a holding call made on the other sideline.

The ref told him to get back off the field and the coach responded by saying,
"I'm not movin until I get a flag!!!"

He was obliged.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I had one a few years back on a punt where is was a bad snap and bounced to the punter he picked it up and got the punt away clean. One of the defenders just kills him I rag it for 15 yards. Coach yells "that can't be a flag the ball bounced to the punter." We let coaches rate officials...puzzling!
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

JH earlier this year. I'm working the chain side. Snap to the punter is muffed, kid gets the ball and is running toward my sideline while being chased by an R player. R player is almost on him and the kid punts on the run. Needless to say, he gets wiped out by the R player. Coach yells "he hit him." Yes he did. Again, he hit him. Yes coach. I mean he hit my punter. Again, yes he did coach. Coach stops and says "they changed the rules on that didn't they." Yes coach.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I had one a few years back on a punt where is was a bad snap and bounced to the punter he picked it up and got the punt away clean. One of the defenders just kills him I rag it for 15 yards. Coach yells "that can't be a flag the ball bounced to the punter." We let coaches rate officials...puzzling!
Last night I was trailing around the right side on an option play and a receiver just flattens a potential tackler with a hit between the shoulder blades. Threw my flag about 10 yards - right at the offender's feet. I saw the entire sequence.

Assistant coach starts screaming that the blocked player turned into the IBB. I just wondered if this is something they teach coaches -- it's never an illegal hit, it's always the other player's fault.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
it's never an illegal hit, it's always the other player's fault.
Unless it's their player getting hit, which they can see from 50 yards away, through a crowd.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Unless it's their player getting hit, which they can see from 50 yards away, through a crowd.
Funny you say that. Similar play, this time the visiting team with the ball. Receiver blocks from behind, but clearly outside the shoulder blades.

SAME COACH yells that it's from behind. I tell him it's in the shoulder. He said, "So? It's from behind." I took the time to explain that it wasn't between the shoulders so it's clean (I was standing right next to him for a moment while the players cleared). He's not convinced.

It's amazing how coaches, who should be professional enough to know the rules, just don't bother. Or think that they know better than guys who study the rules and enforce them week after week.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef

Is the rule the same in NCAA?