The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Video Play 1 - legal blocks

I know a lot of people out there love video plays. I am in the process of coverting a lot of game film to digital format for use in our association. I am going to post a couple of the plays that I think deserve some discussion. All of the plays run in real time first, and then 1/2 speed.

This play involves several close blocks by the offense. Do you think any of them are illegal?

Legal blocks?
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpZebra
I know a lot of people out there love video plays. I am in the process of coverting a lot of game film to digital format for use in our association. I am going to post a couple of the plays that I think deserve some discussion. All of the plays run in real time first, and then 1/2 speed.

This play involves several close blocks by the offense. Do you think any of them are illegal?

Legal blocks?
I honestly don't think a single block here is close to being illegal. Can you specify (after you get enough replies) the ones you think are close?
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I honestly don't think a single block here is close to being illegal. Can you specify (after you get enough replies) the ones you think are close?
Close probably wasn't the best choice in words. But unless we see the whole play (like the block by #75 white towards the end of the play) some officials will think these are illegal. In fact, I had the clock operator tell me we missed an IBB on this play, he has yet to show me on the film who it was on
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming the first block in question is by #77 (I think that's the number, its fuzzy--he starts the play at right tackle). Legal block, from the side, above the waist.

As the player reverses his field, there's another block that I can't get a number on. Can't see the whole play, but this block also appears to be from the side. Legal block.

As the runner turns upfield, another block is made--this one on Blue 77 (can't get the blocker's #). This is from the side, as #77 turned at the last minute. Legal block.

As the play ends, there appears to be block by White #4. This one, from what I can tell is a IBB. However, you could rule that the play was already over when the foul occured, and since it wasn't a PF, and it didn't have an affect on the play, you could go without a flag. But otherwise, this is an IBB.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't #77, the right guard, come over and shove a defender in the upper back, with both hands, and force the guy down, pretty close to the ballcarrier as he's reversing field?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Doesn't #77, the right guard, come over and shove a defender in the upper back, with both hands, and force the guy down, pretty close to the ballcarrier as he's reversing field?
I've got a BIB right there. Right guard.

I've got a legal block against blue 77.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe we're talking about two different blocks.

That one on #77 is definately legal. He came nowhere close to blocking the player in the numbers, which is required to call a block in the back. Was it blind? Yes. Was it legal? You betcha.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's not in the back. In the back means "between the shoulder blades." The block by the right guard is off to the side. It's a blindside block, but not a foul.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Between 8:25:03 and 8:25:04 on the time code?

Could be from the side. Looks to me like he got both hands behind the defender, but the video quality isn't really good enough to tell.

From ground level, you might not see it as well angle-wise.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
That's not in the back. In the back means "between the shoulder blades."
Okay. Good to know. I knew it had to be in the trunk, I didn't know the trunk didn't start until you got to the shoulder blades.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Okay. Good to know. I knew it had to be in the trunk, I didn't know the trunk didn't start until you got to the shoulder blades.
It's defined in the definition section of the book as between the shoulders and below the helmet/above the waist.

It's also a pet peeve of mine to see a blindside, legal block called as an IBB. It gets coaches screaming at me to make the same call as others
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

All of these blocks are legal. Even the one right at the end of the play. There's a possible push in the back but it's after the runner is down. No foul.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

All blocks are legal. The one block that looks the most suspect the defender cut in front of the blocker. I have got nothing.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: They all look legal to me.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
I've got a BIB right there. Right guard.

I've got a legal block against blue 77.

Legal. Clearly from the side. Look how he fell. That's a good clue. He fell sideways.