The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Question DPI or Not?

looking for opinions, ideas on how to handle. 1st-10 to go on B's 30 for A, A11 attempts to throw pass to A24 at the 15. As the ball is in the air B25 hits A24, before (1 secondish) the ball gets there. The ball is underthrown by a good 5 yds, and B15 intercepts the pass and goes to the ground at the 20.

My question do you still through a flag, though the ball would likely have not gotten there and another player (not involved with the foul) recieved the ball between the possible foul and the QB. Looking for answers, thanks!
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

NF: Yes you throw the flag. A couple of reasons...first, there is no catchable/uncatchable rule in NF, so unless the foul by B (and only B) is well away from the intended receiver (don't have my rulebook here but you know the rule), then it's a flag if you judge it to be DPI.

Here's the most important reason in my opinion. If you have DPI and don't throw it, and then there's a foul by the offense, you would have offsetting fouls--no "coulda, woulda, shoulda....". Replay the down.

I had a DPI in a college game a couple of weeks ago and I had a defender clearly play through the back of the receiver, yet the receiver was able to catch the ball and advance another 10 yards. I hesitated a moment before I threw as the thought crossed my mind as how could it be DPI if the receiver managed to catch the ball...

It's a reasonable thought....until the play happens when my Umpire has holding on A or something similar. Then you have to explain to the offensive coach that you had PI, didn't throw even though it was clear as day, and now he's being penalized 10 yards.

In short, if you have it, throw it...it's a foul and it could have an effect based on other factors. It does not matter if it didn't affect the catch or if it was uncatchable (in NF). This is not like a holding call away from the point of attack or similar. If everyone in the stadium can see it, then there should be a flag on the ground.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGref
looking for opinions, ideas on how to handle. 1st-10 to go on B's 30 for A, A11 attempts to throw pass to A24 at the 15. As the ball is in the air B25 hits A24, before (1 secondish) the ball gets there. The ball is underthrown by a good 5 yds, and B15 intercepts the pass and goes to the ground at the 20.

My question do you still through a flag, though the ball would likely have not gotten there and another player (not involved with the foul) recieved the ball between the possible foul and the QB. Looking for answers, thanks!
NCAA - no foul.