The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Stomping by B

I tried to search the different threads to see if this was already covered, but I couldn't find it. So here it is...Thanks in advance to all who can help and add to the discussion--any rules citings would be greatly appreciated too, of course.

NFHS Rules:
Are B's players (LB's and DB's) allowed to approach the LOS and stomp the ground and fake like the ball has been snapped to induce the OL into a false start?

I've heard opposing things...
  1. They can as long as they don't enter the neutral zone.
  2. They can't because it's a case of deception and it's a USC penalty.

Any ideas or opinions here?

Thanks. This is an awesome forum!
ej
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

The reason you cannot find anything illegal about this, because it is not illegal. The defense is allowed to rush the line and make movements that could cause a false start short of verbal signals that sound like the cadence of the QB.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

I disagree, but to an extent. In NFHS, 9-5-1-d clearly states that disconcerting acts as well as words by Team B that are an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements are considered Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
Now, from a practical standpoint, I think that B should be given a lot of latitude because A knows the snap count. That being said, part of being on defense is to try to time the snap count to gain an advantage. Getting up to the line and stomping and rushing the line is acceptable to me but I will only tolerate so much. If it is a constant act by the same team and they are clearly not watching the ball, then I will utilize some preventive officiating and tell them to knock it off. I think I've only thrown a flag on this once and it was after repeated warnings. It was just obnoxious and needed to be stopped as their actions were well outside the scope of what is sportsmanlike.
As with most things like this, the flag should be a last resort, and while others might disagree with me, I do interpret the rule to include acts such as these and therefore their actions certainly could be considered illegal by rule.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 02:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
I disagree, but to an extent. In NFHS, 9-5-1-d clearly states that disconcerting acts as well as words by Team B that are an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements are considered Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Now, from a practical standpoint, I think that B should be given a lot of latitude because A knows the snap count. That being said, part of being on defense is to try to time the snap count to gain an advantage. Getting up to the line and stomping and rushing the line is acceptable to me but I will only tolerate so much. If it is a constant act by the same team and they are clearly not watching the ball, then I will utilize some preventive officiating and tell them to knock it off. I think I've only thrown a flag on this once and it was after repeated warnings. It was just obnoxious and needed to be stopped as their actions were well outside the scope of what is sportsmanlike.
As with most things like this, the flag should be a last resort, and while others might disagree with me, I do interpret the rule to include acts such as these and therefore their actions certainly could be considered illegal by rule.
So you are going to tell a team to knock off going to the line to fake a blitz? You are reading a little too much into the rule you just quoted. No where is it illegal for a defense to rush the line? The casebook even allows for the defense to give loud signals and says that the official has to determine if the action is purposely done to disconcert. I would not consider rushing the line and stomping as disconcerting when the offense knows what they count is.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Im not sure which game it was on saturday, but there was a penalty on a Defensive back for being pressed on the WR, in a crouched position... he was kinda jumping up and down, waving his arms, acutally it looked like he was trying to dance. Anyways the Referee worded it as a "Non-football move"
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Rut,

I'm certainly not going to even verbally warn a defensive player to not rush the line in anticipation of a blitz, etc. I'm talking about the same player or couple of players that repeatedly act almost comical and spastic within a yard of the line in a clear attempt just to make the offensive lineman jumpy. I think you know what I'm talking about and have probably seen it a time or two.
Of course there's judgement here, and like I said before, it has to be egregious for me to even warn them, but I firmly believe that we do have rule support if we deem it to be illegal. In extreme cases, it is not legal per 9-5-1-d.