The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   3 Plays (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28434-3-plays.html)

cmathews Tue Sep 26, 2006 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: First off...I agree that these are probably new officials that still have a lot to learn. Don't we all.

#2 - At first, I thought the call was against #16 blue, and my first thought was that it didn't even look like he hit him. But when I realized that it was against #66 white, I was even more amazed. The hit wasn't that late, nor was it flagrant. Also, didn't appear like he led with his head either. Looks like he just plopped down on top of him.

Bob,
How is "plopping down" on a player on the ground not late?? The more I look at this play the more I agree completely with the flag.

Bob M. Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
Bob,
How is "plopping down" on a player on the ground not late?? The more I look at this play the more I agree completely with the flag.

REPLY: With the players blocking the view, it looked to me like he plopped down with the majority of his body on the ground and just landed on the downed player with his arms and shoulder. But who could really tell? I used that language to distinguish my view from those that said he might have led with the helmet. Since I couldn't see the whole play, I could never determine whether or not to flag it. If you saw enough to warrant a flag, then by all means, you should throw it.

bicepsforyou Tue Sep 26, 2006 04:50pm

wrong

He gave the last play the wrong call.

cmathews Wed Sep 27, 2006 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: With the players blocking the view, it looked to me like he plopped down with the majority of his body on the ground and just landed on the downed player with his arms and shoulder. But who could really tell? I used that language to distinguish my view from those that said he might have led with the helmet. Since I couldn't see the whole play, I could never determine whether or not to flag it. If you saw enough to warrant a flag, then by all means, you should throw it.

Ok I understand what you meant now, and why you used that language...just didn't read it that way the first time.. :D

spyros Fri Sep 29, 2006 08:29am

The Best Coach

USA against CHINA

Sooner01 Fri Sep 29, 2006 08:36am

Enforecement wrong

Guys,

In reading all of the replies, one big thing was missed. The "late hit", whether you agree of not was late, happened AFTER a 4th down play. The enforecement would be a deadball foul, 15 yards, and White's ball 1st and 10.

Bob M. Fri Sep 29, 2006 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner01
Guys,

In reading all of the replies, one big thing was missed. The "late hit", whether you agree of not was late, happened AFTER a 4th down play. The enforecement would be a deadball foul, 15 yards, and White's ball 1st and 10.

REPLY: Great observation sooner! You're correct. There shouldn't have been a third play for blue.

Mack10 Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47pm

Differ on #3

#1 is just horrible. #2 could go either way. I don't have audio, so I'd need to know when that whistle blew relative to B's hit. But on the last one, I see B shoving A in the upper back before making any play on the ball.

cmathews Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack10
#1 is just horrible. #2 could go either way. I don't have audio, so I'd need to know when that whistle blew relative to B's hit. But on the last one, I see B shoving A in the upper back before making any play on the ball.

Mac,
Why do you need audio for a whistle?? The whistle has no bearing as to when the ball becomes dead, except for one situation, the dreaded IW...otherwise all a whistle does is confirm the dead ball...Lots of plays at the college level don't even have a whistle...