The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 12:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

I need some Purell...

...to sanitize me from tonight's game.

Some amazing sportsmanship (or lack of it) tonight.

Leading 18-0 late in the 4th quarter (and apparently frustrated it wasn't 40-0), the home team went to a no huddle hurry-up with about 2:30 left in the game -- eventually they scored another touchdown with 0:02 left.

On the try, the visiting team blocked the kick and the person blocking the kick went right into the holder. Unavoidable contact as the blocked kick was right near the holder. After the game, the home coach confronted the crew walking off and claimed someone got speared -- at first he was talking about the snapper and then the holder. I didn't know who he meant, but I know the play on the holder was clean due to the block of the kick (and there was no spear I saw). And my umpire is quite proactive about keeping the defense off the snapper. After the coach said for the second time he "demanded" an explanation, I told the crew to walk away and we left the field with the coach amazed we'd walk away from him.

Oh, did I mention that the home team tried an onside kick up 24-0 with 2 seconds left? The visiting team coaching staff wasn't exactly happy….
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The lack of class and sportsmanship is enough to make you wonder why we do this sometimes. Was there a bad history between these schools or coaching staffs?

Keep your chin up, Rich. Next time out you'll be blessed with a game like I had tonight. It was a very competitive, hard hitting, little sloppy because of the wet conditions, inner city rivalry. Final score 34-28. The losing team had the ball and was driving with a chance to win when they threw a 4th down interception with about 1:20 left in the game.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The lack of class and sportsmanship is enough to make you wonder why we do this sometimes. Was there a bad history between these schools or coaching staffs?
This question reminds me of a game awhile back, and I can't remember who the opponent was, but I know that the game involved Florida when Steve Spurrier was still their coach. Florida was way ahead and scored a late touchdown and decided to go for 2 on the try. After the game, at the press conference, a reporter asked Spurrier why he chose to go for 2 when he was already so far ahead, and his reponse was, "Cause we couldn't go for 3!"