The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Guess it's about time to kick the season off. After three years of basketball this will be my first in football, and I have no clue of what I am doing. Yes, I have studied the rule book, officials manual, case book, and the cartoon book. I am working with an experienced crew and that should help a bunch. My white hat has told me that I will start at umpire and will work there in the scrimmage's and JV games, and probably will work linesman during the Junior High contests because he has another new guy on that crew "who is even greener than I am". His words, as I do not see how he can be any greener than me. Any practical words of advice as to keys and what to watch as the umpire?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2001, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Wink

I suggest you get a helmet and try not to get barrelled over. Seriously though, first lesson I learned was stand on top of the ball until the ready for play and then move back, keeping an eye on the ball the whole time. We actually had a DT move the ball back so the offense had 4th and 1 instead of 4th and inches. Needless to say, he had an early exit. Follow your keys, study film, the guards will tell you whats going on every time, this was kind of easy after being a linebacker in my playing days. Call the holds that affect the play, if your following your keys these are the only ones you'll see. The umpire does a lot between plays, which takes some getting used to:
1. Help referee with 7 on the line
2. Eligible numbers
3. Chin straps, mouthguards
4. Who is in the free blocking zone(different this year)
5. Other things I'm sure, not off the top of my head

P.S. If you want a good tool to help with keys and mechanics go to http://www.nfhs.org football and check out the 3 powerpoint presentations on mechanics and keys

Good Luck

[Edited by abergman on Aug 22nd, 2001 at 01:43 PM]
Old Thu Aug 23, 2001, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Talking Just like playing defense!

Umpire slot is a piece of cake!

As mentioned earlier, the guards will tell you everything. Also remember, if the offensive lineman show an agressive block, probably a run, if the show a passive block (retreat or stand their position) probably a pass.

Stay over the ball till the ready for play is given, or your referee motions you out. Then, move to your position about 7 yards off the ball. Then make sure you have 5 players numbers 50 - 79 on the line (and they can be anywhere!). Keep an eye on the snapper as he makes his adjustments and snaps the ball. Remember, a play can not start without a legal snap. After that, it is just football!

One thing, I always tend to know where the tight end lines up. And, I want to know if the tight end is attempting to come across the middle for a pass. Get out of his way! You may want to start by lining up opposite of the tight end.

Hey, enjoy it! Best seat in the house!

zeb

Old Sat Aug 25, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I concur with zebraman 100%. Umpire is a piece of cake. When I first started 7 yrs ago it was at umpire and I love every minute of it. I've heard alot of wingmen say they don't want to do U because there's too much to watch and it's too dangerous. Baloney! It takes focus and concentration and there are some "exceptions" to be aware of but if you read your keys everything just fall in to place. And as for the danger, in seven years i've only been knocked down twice and those were only from players being blocked into me from my backside as the play went downfield. Once you learn it, it's the simplest position in the world. Much better than getting your butt chewed by a coach every other play.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

The first scrimmage I was totally lost, the field was very poorly marked, couldn't even see the hash marks. I kept going outside them, which I guess is a no-no at umpire. Finally by the end of the game I was getting the hang of it. Only had one major screw up, blew my whistle at the same time I threw the flag for a hold. IW is bad enough but this happened to be fourth and 20something and the QB had fumbled the ball and it was loose at the five yard line. It would not have been fun to explain that to a coach whose defense had just recovered a fumble and tell him that the offense gets to replay the down from the original los, ouch. Think I learned my lesson on the IW. Friday night, I was all geared up and ready and when I got there they said, "we are going to have you do line judge tonight". Ugh, all new position to learn and I look like a rookie again. I actually like it better than umpire, but of course, I didn't have the coach and players to deal with since it was just a scrimmage.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2001, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

And the field had brick walls at the hashes?

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
the hash marks. I kept going outside them, which I guess is a no-no at umpire.
Dev: why is it NOT ok for an umpire to go inside the hashes? I do all the time! For many reasons: to assist in unpiling players, to cover the line prior to the snap if the ball is on the hash, to assist a wing in sideline coverage, to flow with the play should it get strung out.

And, my crewmates actually appreciate the assistance I can offer. I have never been criticized for going into the side zone to officiate.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

maybe it's because I kept trying to spot the ball outside the hashes, lol. My white hat just told me to work mainly inside the hashes, not that I couldn't ever go outside, just as a pretty good rule of thumb, I guess.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2001, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only had one major screw up, blew my whistle at the same time I threw the flag for a hold. IW is bad enough but this happened to be fourth and 20something and the QB had fumbled the ball and it was loose at the five yard line. It would not have been fun to explain that to a coach whose defense had just recovered a fumble and tell him that the offense gets to replay the down from the original los, ouch. Think I learned my lesson on the IW.
I would say that more times than not, the ball will be loose when there's an IW. I don't know why it happens that way but it usually does.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 05, 2001, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Experience counts!

Quote:
maybe it's because I kept trying to spot the ball outside the hashes, lol.
Takes time to understand the nuances of the game. As you become more comfortable with the position, you will find going outside the hashes provides you a chance to look into the line from a different angle.

I also like to line up opposite my referee. He will always take the tackle in front of him at the snap, i then focus on the other four interior lineman.

Moving around between the tackles also avoids having a player, particularly a runner, from keying on you, using you as a blocker.

During the final minutes of a half, if a team is using a hurry up offense, it also helps if the umpire can expedite getting the ball set by moving into the side zone to receive the ball from the wing, rather than using the trinagular method of the wing pasing the ball to the referee then the ref to you. Eliminating the two extra passes will save time and provide the offense with a more efficient ball set.

hope it works out!

zeb