The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Videos and Thoughts

Are there any football officiating videos available out there (especially ones for new guys)?

I do a bunch of baseball and i found some videos that have really helped me in my understanding of rules and mechanics. When i eventually move into football, i would like to see some of those.

Also, thank you guys for your thoughtful replies to my basic questions in other threads. i do a lot of baseball, and i'm glad i knew the rules inside and out when i joined that board since i would have been absolutely toasted if i asked basic questions over there! haha The rules for football seem MUCH MUCH more complicated and intricate, so it looks like i'll have to put some extra time into my rules study when the time comes - this is kinda why i want to get a head start and read this forum.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA has a Football Officiating Video for 20 bucks on their website, it has about 100 plays on there tha shows everything from proper mechanics to holding and facemasks, I ordered it and it helped clairfy some things.
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar729
The NCAA has a Football Officiating Video for 20 bucks on their website, it has about 100 plays on there tha shows everything from proper mechanics to holding and facemasks, I ordered it and it helped clairfy some things.

Are the majority of the concepts interchangeable with NFHS rules?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Though the rules are significantly different in many apsects (particularly enforcement) I think it's pretty fair to say that the concepts and the principles governing NCAA and Federation football are fairly similar. For example, judgment used to call a 'hold' in NCAA mirrors that used to call a 'hold' in Fed; pretty much same for PI. Need to be careful with mechanics though because of the number of officials.