The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 12:55am

Saban's late challenge

Saban was interviewed after the game and said that it shouldn't have happened the way it did.

Maybe if he wouldn't triple-pump the throw, and then throw it like a 5-year old girl, the officials could have seen the flag before the snap for the PAT. Here is the one time the rules allow the coach to go nuts, and make a lot of noise, and run out of the box to get the officials' attention, and he just tosses the flag underhand.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I agree. That little underhand toss isn't going to get anyone's attention. It almost looked as if he didn't want to challenge it.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes I agree....

I think he was thinking.. "Pittsburg was going to score anyways", with first and goal at the one. I think he was looking at the time, and wondering if he wanted to shorten the game by allowing Pittsburgh to run some more plays and run some more time off.

I would like to have seen the replay a couple of more time, because at the time the ball becomes dead (player oob) the ball is extended and may be in the end zone anyways.

But I have seen my grandmother throw her crochet on the couch with more flair than that toss.

CBrockett
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
The replay looked to me as though the ball would have been spotted at the 2 if challenged. It did not appear as though the ball was anywhere near the goal line when the player stepped OB.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

We may not hear about it but I can just see them changing things so that the replay booth can buzz the officials on the field when they see the flag come out in case all of the officials on the field don't see it thrown. But then again Collinsworth actually had some good information in that the coach is allowed to run on to the field to throw the flag. Get out there where you can be seen and the flag can be seen. In other words, if you are going to blow your whistle then blow it. Don't make it go t...w...e...e...t, make it go TWEEEEEET.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I wish we'd gotten a better angle on the replays. The one they kept freezing on didn't look definitive to me, and from my TIVO on the initial feed, it appears the Miller DIDN'T go out of bounds, but DID lose possession of the ball before he crossed the goal line. I'd have liked a 2nd angle to see if what I saw was right.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not only did Saban hold onto the flag too long, and make a 'wussy' toss, the flag landed well behind the referee, who was the closest official.

As waltjp said, "It almost looked as if he didn't want to challenge it."

Bob