The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Looks like the Big Ten is getting the better of it tonight. Tony, what's the deal with those wierd shoulder panels on the UNC jerseys?

UNC almost stole that game. Made a nice comeback to cut it to 4.

Certainly a better game than my 100-67 game tonight.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Big Ten getting the better of it? I don't think so. They were supposed to run away with it this year and it's tied 3-3. They actually cut it to 2 and had 3 chances to tie it but made some freshman mistakes.

Illnois had the same "panels." Must be a Nike thing. I didn't care for them either.

If you're gonna gets us, you better get us this year. Because in another year or two, we're gonna be in a situation where we don't lose more than 2 or 3 games a season, at the very most!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Big Ten getting the better of it? I don't think so. They were supposed to run away with it this year and it's tied 3-3.
Huh. I take it back, then. I only saw the games on ESPN and ESPN2, which were both Big 10 wins.

I noticed the panels on the Illinois jerseys, too, but I wasn't sure who I could razz about it.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Big Ten getting the better of it? I don't think so. They were supposed to run away with it this year and it's tied 3-3.
Huh. I take it back, then. I only saw the games on ESPN and ESPN2, which were both Big 10 wins.

I noticed the panels on the Illinois jerseys, too, but I wasn't sure who I could razz about it.
Don't look at me; I'm no uniform designer.

I haven't actually seen a game yet this year, although I have had a chance to listen to most on the radio. So, what type of shoulder panels are you talking about? None of the pictures I've seen of the game show anything unusual.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:00am
Huck Finn

I cannot help myself!

Quote:

If you're gonna gets us, you better get us this year. Because in another year or two, we're gonna be in a situation where we don't lose more than 2 or 3 games a season, at the very most!
Can you answer two questions for me.

1. What school has had more talent, across the board (not just two centers!), than UNC, EVER?
2. In your opinion, is the amount of trophies in line with the amount of talent.

Keep in mind, I'm a Hoosier; the team that won three with a "crazy" coach, a little talent and a whole bunch of guys destined for blue-collar jobs instead of NBA jobs.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Ohio State, Michigan and Illnois have Big 10 wins.

Clemson, Florida State and Wake Forest have ACC wins.

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Don't look at me; I'm no uniform designer.

I haven't actually seen a game yet this year, although I have had a chance to listen to most on the radio. So, what type of shoulder panels are you talking about? None of the pictures I've seen of the game show anything unusual.
There's a silver "panel" that extends from the neckline to the shoulder that's probably 3-4 inches wide. It was a lot more noticeable on the white hmoe Tar Heels uni's than the navy Illni road jerseys. Either way, it was ugly.

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Looks pretty good on the kentucky Blue with white panel and the Blue with white panel...IMO
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: I cannot help myself!

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
1. What school has had more talent, across the board (not just two centers!), than UNC, EVER?
2. In your opinion, is the amount of trophies in line with the amount of talent.
Probably no other. But circumstances have cost us championships, not any single common issue, except maybe players leaving early and turning pro. We've probably had more players do that than any other shcool. McAdoo, Worthy, Jordan, Reid, Stackhouse, Wallace, Jamison, Carter, may, Felton, Williams, and McCants. Has anyone else ever had 4 to leave in the same year and all be drafted in the top 13. We certainly would have been the favorite this year, Of course, that and a buck will get you hot coffee at McDonals.

In the early years when only one team from each conference went to the tourney, the ACC Tournament was brutal. Win or go home.

Should have beat Marquette in the '77 game, even with LaGarde, Kupchak, and Ford all injured. Came back, had control of the game and Dean went to the 4 corners, Took uas out of our rhythm and Al McQuire got his only championship.

Isaiah killed us in '81. After the '82 title, Worthy went pro. A repeat was very likely if he had stayed. In '84, we were cruising at 17-0 when an LSU player broke Kenny Smith wrist on a hard foul. Then Perkins got drunk the night before we played Indiana in the second round, was hung over, Jordan fouled out, and your Hoosiers outplayed us and won.

It was lean for a few years inn the late 80's. The 90's were better with several Final Fours and the '93 championship. The '94 teams should have repeated but the influx of Stackhouse and Wallace did provide much chemistry with Montross and friends. Stackhouse and Wallace left early, followed by Jamison and Carter. But Duke had some pretty good teams then too. They've had some tremendous college players who haven't faired as well in the NBA as the Heels.

I think (hope) things will be a little different under Roy Williams.

Good luck tonight. As much as I pull for the ACC, I can't pull for the Dookies, who presently have the best basektball program in the country.

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: I cannot help myself!

Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind, I'm a Hoosier; the team that won three with a "crazy" coach, a little talent and a whole bunch of guys destined for blue-collar jobs instead of NBA jobs.
#1. Kentucky 1996...10 players in the NBA, 7 first rounders. 8 of the 10 have held spots on NBA rosters at least until 2005 and only 2 had short NBA careers.
  • Antoine Walker
  • Walter McCarty
  • Tony Delk
  • Mark Pope
  • Ron Mercer
  • Derek Anderson
  • Nazr Mohammed
  • Jeff Sheppard
  • Scott Padgett (redshirt)
  • Wayne Turner

Hard to beat that lineup (as their opponents found in 1996 with an average point differential of 22 for the season. That was also the year in which UK passed UNC in most games won (they were already substantially ahead in win %...UNC has several more losses).

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]
  • __________________
    Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
    Commissioner, Portland Basketball Officials Association
    Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:37am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    There's a silver "panel" that extends from the neckline to the shoulder that's probably 3-4 inches wide. It was a lot more noticeable on the white hmoe Tar Heels uni's than the navy Illni road jerseys. Either way, it was ugly.
    I'm going to see a couple of games in Dec., so I'll have to watch for that. Maybe I'm just gettin' old, but I always considered the baggy shorts ugly, so I guess not much gets my attention after that.

Hmm, except camouflage. Now, THAT would be ugly.

(Used with permission.)
    Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 11:50am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by M&M Guy
    Maybe I'm just gettin' old, but I always considered the baggy shorts ugly, so I guess not much gets my attention after that.

Hmm, except camouflage. Now, THAT would be ugly.
    So you prefer the "hot pants" of the 70's? Remembering that there weren't many women players back then...
    Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 12:35pm
    Huck Finn

Re: Re: I cannot help myself!

Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust
    Quote:
    Quote:

#1. Kentucky 1996...10 players in the NBA, 7 first rounders. 8 of the 10 have held spots on NBA rosters at least until 2005 and only 2 had short NBA careers.
  • Antoine Walker
  • Walter McCarty
  • Tony Delk
  • Mark Pope
  • Ron Mercer
  • Derek Anderson
  • Nazr Mohammed
  • Jeff Sheppard
  • Wayne Turner

Hard to beat that lineup (as their opponents found in 1996 with an average point differential of 22 for the season. That was also the year in which UK passed UNC in most games won (they were already substantially ahead in win %...UNC has several more losses).

• I'm talking about all-time, not just one year - but you do bring up a good argument.

I would just say UNC and Duke have had some of the greatest recruiter's ever but not the greatest coaches. Gasp! Yes, I said that. I would trade players with UNC and keep our coach. I have a strange feeling Knight would have had more than 3 championships with those "problems." Considering those three programs - Duke, UNC and IU - and the trophies should be a measuring stick for all this praise we have to hear from the media (vitale) all the time. IU has obviously had less talent but has the same amount of championships as Coach K and one more than Smith. Roy Williams isn't out of the woods yet because he always had talent at Kansas, they just didn't win when it counted. Last year's team was so much more talented than the other teams it wasn't funny. The fact they didn't win by 30 like UNLV did against Duke once again should be used to measure the coaching. Look at other coaches.

Pitino had talent to win it all and he won it all. He did have talent to win it all at least one other time but he made what I would consider one of the worst coaching moves ever by not doubling Laetner.
    Thompson had the talent to win it all 3 years and one it once. I would almost consider him in the same light if not for 70% shooting by Villanova, cocaine and no shot clock.
    Nolan Richardson had the talent to win it all twice and one it once. Pretty good.
    Wooden is the greatest of all time.
    Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:28pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I cannot help myself!

Quote:
    Roy Williams isn't out of the woods yet because he always had talent at Kansas, they just didn't win when it counted. Last year's team was so much more talented than the other teams it wasn't funny. The fact they didn't win by 30 like UNLV did against Duke once again should be used to measure the coaching.
    Say what? They won the national championsip and you're criticizing them for not winning by 30?

Don't do such a disservice to Illinois. Let's not forget that not only were the odds on favorite to win the tourney from the beginning, they were also the favorite to beat Carolina. Newspapers across the country touted the game as the best team vs. the best talent. In the end, we found out that the best talent was the best team. Not winning by 30 doesn't make that trophy any less deserved or enjoyable.

Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:38pm
    Official Forum Member

Talent?

Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust
    Quote:
    Quote:

• Antoine Walker
  • Walter McCarty
  • Tony Delk
  • Mark Pope
  • Ron Mercer
  • Derek Anderson
  • Nazr Mohammed
  • Jeff Sheppard
  • Wayne Turner

• Don't have time for the stats, maybe a good team but not the best talent.

Of the 10, I only remember 5 at all, and only a couple had an NBA career that was memorable at all.

But a good case in point

Thanks
    David
    Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 03:43pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Knight couldn't hold on to Larry Bird long enough for one game.